Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowblower belt advice. Kevlar type?

Snowblower belt advice. Kevlar type?

I have an old MTD 8 hp/27" blower that runs great (about 40 years old), but it goes through an Auger belt a season.
    I blew a new belt out in the heavy slushy snow we had the other night, I got through 7 neighbours driveways trying to be helpful. Probably was like a 2 seasons work out that night.
    Anyways. It uses an A-39 belt, a neighbour mentioned maybe trying a Kevlar belt, can't seem to find one on line in Canada, only USA and UK.

Anyone experienced or know where I can get one? Princess Auto in Brampton was sold out of their generic basic belts, which I have been using, so currently I am SOL and looking to upgrade.

have you talked to someone who services them? like a small engine guy. had a similar issue with an old riding mower I used to have. the belts you buy at places like tsc and Canadian tire are cheap, got one from a tractor place and no more problems

also check your pullies for cracks and excessive wear. that can cause belt issues as well

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post

also check your pullies for cracks and excessive wear. that can cause belt issues as well
    ^^This.

I would buy a OEM MTD belt from a place that sells/services small equipment.
    Other belts are likely going to be junk and not last or the wrong material.

Some belts for those machines might be an oddball size.

Quote Originally Posted by LX89 View Post
    I would buy a OEM MTD belt from a place that sells/services small equipment.
    Other belts are likely going to be junk and not last or the wrong material.

Some belts for those machines might be an oddball size.
    The model I have doesn't show up on the local Lawn and garden supplier, definitely an oddball size, figure the kevlar type are my last resort before buying a new blower.

Quote Originally Posted by 83 5.0 View Post
    The model I have doesn't show up on the local Lawn and garden supplier, definitely an oddball size, figure the kevlar type are my last resort before buying a new blower.
    Are you just looking at a website?
    A small engine/equipment repair shop would likely have MTD parts manuals.
    Not everything is always online,especially for old equipment.

I was using Cliffs lawn and garden here in Oakville, they have tried to source a belt, but this one seems to be an orphan.
    Pulleys all seem to be good, no cracks or burrs, even checked for any possible shar edges that might cut the belt.

dosnt have to be a sharp edge or a burr, pulley should be a nice straight V if its wallowed out, it can cause the belt to bind and slip. breaking premature. same if the bearing or shaft that the pulley rides on causes the pully to not run true.

pulleys usually are not too expensive. would suck to pay for a good expensive belt and have the same thing to happen. been there myself

I had the same issue on my OLD snowblower....It is a pain in the ass to actually get to the belt to replace, splitting the machine
    what I found was the pulley on the "blower half" of the unit was a two piece pulley that is spot welded together and it started to separate causing the excessive wear
    iirc it was about 12" dia

Also make sure the belt alignment is good... blew a belt off the next day learning that lesson