28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not annoyed

21 75.00%
  • Annoyed

1 3.57%
  • Slept right threw it

6 21.43%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amber Alert - Were you annoyed by it?

^^^ You can still receive WhatsApp, Facebook messages and messenger if your phone is set to DND. If you're not part of the FOMO generation then turn off your WIFI and set DND/mute/notifications (if you dont want to get annoyed with the alerts)...
    Last edited by FoxRod; 02-17-2019 at 10:28 AM.

I was the one vote who was annoyed. After working 16.5 hrs and having to get up again at 4:30 a.m. I wasn't in the mood to be woken at 11:20 and again at 12:30 or so and since I drive a heavy truck you sure don't want me falling asleep at the wheel.. It isn't a poll asking if amber alerts are a good idea. They should have at least checked the fathers house before sending out the alert but on the other hand apparently the alert prompted a call from someone who spotted the guys car. Rot in hell P.O.S. murderer.

FYI my Amber alerts are now turned off on my cell phone because the only time I'm not near a radio or TV is when I'm sleeping so I wouldn't be much help at that time.

I got the first alert then about 2 mins later a text type alert, then the same thing at 12:30 then I got another text alert about 7 am. Plus I'm in Ottawa so it's pretty unlikely the guy was here. Maybe more regional alerts.

This is how I turned them off. We'll see if it works.
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...-amber-alerts/

Quote Originally Posted by bluetoy View Post
    This is how I turned them off. We'll see if it works.
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...-amber-alerts/
    I was curious and tried to find the IOS setting for Government Notifications but saw nothing in the "Notification" section. I read numerous articles and found out that the settings are only available for US?
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
    I was curious and tried to find the IOS setting for Government Notifications but saw nothing in the "Notification" section. I read numerous articles and found out that the settings are only available for US?
    That could be true because my phone is an Axon 7 mini US version. There was a setting called Amber alerts.

Being annoyed by it is kool……...right up until you find out what the deal was.

Calling 911 to complain...….. trash talking the system...….and not moving on with your life...…..that's offside.

An 11 year old lost their life for no reason...….wasting one night of your sleep is hardly an issue.
    '21 F150 Screw 4x4 FX4 3.5 Powerboost (Iconic Silver)
    '21 Explorer ST (Atlas Blue)
    '19 Mustang Bullitt (Dark Hyland Green) Vortech Supercharged
    '11 Mustang GT 5.0L (Race Red) 8.92 @ 154 mph

Quote Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
    It's not very simple. I'm concerned about the abuse of the Emergency Alert System. The more (blazing loud) alerts that go off even in a year, the more these alerts will be ignored.

Lets say if the last 7 alerts were Amber alerts most will think the 8th is the same. Except the 8th one is an extreme weather alert which affects thousands of lives. Having to set your phone to silent doesn't solve anything, in fact it puts lives at risk. That's why the EAS should have settings to control which alerts you want to receive, just like how it's done in the States.

The more you use an emergency system for a non emergency, the less of an emergency it becomes.
    Problem is that most people care more about what someone posts on Facebook or Instagram than an innocent child’s life, they would have no problem scrolling through stupidity, but heaven forbid they be made aware of some poor youngster in danger.
    Amber alert is an emergency, plain and simple. Extreme weather may be different, but people still need to be made aware of it if it’s dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
    Negative.
    Here's the issue with your statement.
    Its actually NOT that simple.
    My parents are in Florida for the winter. If there is an emergency (which has already happened last year) they need to be able to contact me.
    So when my phone is on DND they can call thru anytime. If I put my phone on mute they will NOT be able to contact me.
    Imagine how may people have loved ones looking after elderly or have partners working high risk jobs. Your phone could be a lifeline to these people.
    Muting your phone is not an option for thousands of Canadians, me included.
    Also the system is used for more than just amber alerts.

Sure, I get it, I have elderly family as well, not as far as Florida, but not nearby either.
    Regardless I stand by my post, I have no problem being inconvenienced a few times a year in the case of an Amber alert or extreme weather. Either of those could wake me up at anytime and I wouldn’t be upset.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxRod View Post
    ^^^ You can still receive WhatsApp, Facebook messages and messenger if your phone is set to DND. If you're not part of the FOMO generation then turn off your WIFI and set DND/mute/notifications (if you dont want to get annoyed with the alerts)...
    Well here's the difference. You can control the audio on all those alerts. You cannot on the Emergency alert system!
    In the US you have control over the system.
    The CRTC here said no.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    Being annoyed by it is kool……...right up until you find out what the deal was.

Calling 911 to complain...….. trash talking the system...….and not moving on with your life...…..that's offside.

An 11 year old lost their life for no reason...….wasting one night of your sleep is hardly an issue.
    Yeah its messed up for sure.
    But I wonder if some of those people who "say they weren't annoyed" would be annoyed if next time it goes off at 3am and the child is found safe.
    And I agree on calling 911 over this. Those people should be charged for making a non emergency call to 911.

Just for interest sake I looked at my Samsung 8+ settings and the Emergency Alert setting was already unselected and I still received the messages.

Quote Originally Posted by bbriann View Post
    Just for interest sake I looked at my Samsung 8+ settings and the Emergency Alert setting was already unselected and I still received the messages.
    The power of the GUV right in your phone