28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not annoyed

21 75.00%
  • Annoyed

1 3.57%
  • Slept right threw it

6 21.43%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amber Alert - Were you annoyed by it?

Amber Alert - Were you annoyed by it?

So this is the hot topic everywhere today.
    Just curious how others feel.

Me personally not offended or annoyed by it but I did find it interesting and surprising that it blows right threw the iPhone Do Not Disturb (DND) feature.
    On the iPhone this is not the same as mute.
    There is a lot of misinformation going around today on that subject and I think that's one of the reason's many are upset.
    DND allows people in your favourites to call threw when its set but will silence all other calls and texts.

Also friends of mine in the USA say they have full control of amber alerts on their phones but here in Canada we have no control.
    Does that give the guv too much control over your own device?

Discuss.

Also the events leading up to this discussion are heart breaking.
    RIP little angel!!!

Not sure when it was sent out or if I received it , I do know I woke up at 12ish , looked at my phone went back to sleep . Was this in a form of a text ?

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar
    I didn’t receive anything
    iPhone with dnd enabled at that time and I was awake with phone beside me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

I received it, but it did not make a sound or anything, just showed up on the screen. I would have been upset if it had woken up my wife who's just getting on a different shift and having a hard time adjusting to sleep.

That said it's hard to really be that upset with something designed to prevent harm or injury to a child in peril, but part of me does wish we had more oversight on how it notified us.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

I was annoyed at first but when I saw the alert I was good with it. Seriously people, if it was to save the life of your child you certainly wouldn’t bitch about it. If it saves 1 life or helps catch some asshole, it’s well worth it. JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55 HD
    I was watching the Leaf game so was up. I heard the loud whistle and said what is that. We have 3 cell phones on the counter being charged and only 1 went off with the sound on high volume. Next was the interruption on TV so we then knew it was the Amber Alert. Didn't bother me, but glad it didn't happen when asleep or I might have shit my pants. RIP little one. Rot in HELL big one.

Yes blew through my Do Not Disturb (DND) feature on Samsung phone, this message should be delivered only when Do Not Disturb (DND) feature has timed out.
    It is not a changing world but Canada is changing and this kind of situation that we historically have not been accustomed to will be happening more frequently so they can`t send out this type message every time it happens.... it is NOT a changing world, it is a changing Canada.

More than ok with initial notification once up and saw what it was for. Irked to no end when alarm went off for second time an hour later saying alert was over, could not fall back to sleep. Part I do find ridiculous, unless phone is either turned off or volume to zero, can not opt out.

Mustang Occasionally
    No problem with it at all.

I will need to bite my tongue for those who were annoyed, prolly the same one's who called 911 to report their annoyance...
    https://www.narcity.com/ca/on/toront...ts-amber-alert