28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not annoyed

21 75.00%
  • Annoyed

1 3.57%
  • Slept right threw it

6 21.43%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amber Alert - Were you annoyed by it?

Who voted for annoyed? I am annoyed by your vote and you should seek help.
    Member of the IDGAF+FU2 Community

Quote Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
    The alert startled the shit out of me and this was with my phone in the kitchen and I was upstairs. Thankfully it didn't wake up the kids. The alert system is a great idea, but I feel it still needs a lot more fine tuning.
    100% agree. We should be able to at least turn the audible tone off.
    I don't know a single person who jumped out of bed to help with the alert.
    That being said if you're out and can help with the situation then it's an awesome feature to have.
    It helped catch the POS so it does work.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    didn't hear a peep from my iPhone 7.

are they location specific now or just suppose to blast everywhere?
    All of Ontario got it.
    iPhone 7 should of got the alert.
    Only way you don't hear it is
    If your phone is off or set to mute.

It looks like this.

You may want to call your service provider and let them know.

https://www.alertready.ca/

More iPhone info:

Ability to receive an alert: Consumers should check their specific device against their wireless service providers list of wireless public alerting compatible devices. If your device is not on the carrier list, it is not compatible.

In addition, consumers should ensure that the SOFTWARE on their compatible device is kept up to date. Outdated software may affect a device’s ability to receive an alert even if it is compatible.

Timing of software updates may also impact whether devices will be wireless public alerting compatible on other wireless service provider’s LTE networks in instances when customers switch providers but bring their own phone.

Connection to LTE network: WPA-compatible devices must be connected to an LTE network at the time an alert is distributed. The symbols located in the upper right-hand corner of your device will help you to identify what network you are connected to.

However, it is important to understand that even if you’re in an area that has LTE coverage, what you are doing with your device at the time an alert is issued will impact your ability to receive it. For example:
    •If you have set your device to Wi-Fi only, you will not receive an alert.
    •If you are on a voice call at the time of the alert, you may not receive an alert. Voice calls may move your connection to a non-LTE network, like 3G, even if you are in an LTE area.
    •If you are in a location that makes signal reception difficult at the time of the alert, such as an underground garage, you may not receive an alert.

Device settings: The emergency alert will follow user settings:
    •The VOLUME of the alert will be the same volume as that which is set on your phone. Most devices have multiple setting controls for different features such as ringtone, media, notifications, and system. The Canadian Alerting Attention Signal is usually controlled by the Settings/Sounds & touch vibration settings (also known as Haptics setting).
    •If your device is set with a REMINDER feature, this may cause the alert to repeat until you acknowledge it. This feature can be turned off following directions in your device’s User Guide.
    •If your device is set to SILENT or DO NOT DISTURB mode, the alert will override the setting. This means that you will receive the alert at whatever user settings you have in place. You might not see or notice the alert even though your device has received it. The alert might be “hidden” with other notifications. You may need to scroll down to see the alert.

My phone only vibrated but my wife’s went crazy and woke me up. Never would have known otherwise. I vote for startled not annoyed. The one to say it was canceled was, in my opinion, not necessary. I’m going to say that if it was my kid, I’d want everyone to be woken....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Help me Jesus! Help me Jewish God! Help me Allah! Help me Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise use your witchcraft on me to get the fire off me! Help me Oprah Winfrey!” — Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
    100% agree. We should be able to at least turn the audible tone off.
    I don't know a single person who jumped out of bed to help with the alert.
    That being said if you're out and can help with the situation then it's an awesome feature to have.
    It helped catch the POS so it does work.

All of Ontario got it.
    iPhone 7 should of got the alert.
    Only way you don't hear it is
    If your phone is off or set to mute.

It looks like this.

You may want to call your service provider and let them know.

https://www.alertready.ca/

More iPhone info:

Ability to receive an alert: Consumers should check their specific device against their wireless service providers list of wireless public alerting compatible devices. If your device is not on the carrier list, it is not compatible.

In addition, consumers should ensure that the SOFTWARE on their compatible device is kept up to date. Outdated software may affect a device’s ability to receive an alert even if it is compatible.

Timing of software updates may also impact whether devices will be wireless public alerting compatible on other wireless service provider’s LTE networks in instances when customers switch providers but bring their own phone.

Connection to LTE network: WPA-compatible devices must be connected to an LTE network at the time an alert is distributed. The symbols located in the upper right-hand corner of your device will help you to identify what network you are connected to.

However, it is important to understand that even if you’re in an area that has LTE coverage, what you are doing with your device at the time an alert is issued will impact your ability to receive it. For example:
    •If you have set your device to Wi-Fi only, you will not receive an alert.
    •If you are on a voice call at the time of the alert, you may not receive an alert. Voice calls may move your connection to a non-LTE network, like 3G, even if you are in an LTE area.
    •If you are in a location that makes signal reception difficult at the time of the alert, such as an underground garage, you may not receive an alert.

Device settings: The emergency alert will follow user settings:
    •The VOLUME of the alert will be the same volume as that which is set on your phone. Most devices have multiple setting controls for different features such as ringtone, media, notifications, and system. The Canadian Alerting Attention Signal is usually controlled by the Settings/Sounds & touch vibration settings (also known as Haptics setting).
    •If your device is set with a REMINDER feature, this may cause the alert to repeat until you acknowledge it. This feature can be turned off following directions in your device’s User Guide.
    •If your device is set to SILENT or DO NOT DISTURB mode, the alert will override the setting. This means that you will receive the alert at whatever user settings you have in place. You might not see or notice the alert even though your device has received it. The alert might be “hidden” with other notifications. You may need to scroll down to see the alert.
    will it save the alerts like it does other msgs? I would have slept threw it as the phone is downstairs at night, but no notification on the phone when I woke up. don't think my wife got one either, same carrier but iPhone 5

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    will it save the alerts like it does other msgs? I would have slept threw it as the phone is downstairs at night, but no notification on the phone when I woke up. don't think my wife got one either, same carrier but iPhone 5
    Yeah it will be in your notification center.

I didnt mind it , however I will admit I have recently explored edibles and it scared the shit out of me when it went off...I was about 30 minutes into a drug induced sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
    Yeah it will be in your notification center.
    it was, thanks

My phone was on silent so I had no idea, my wife’s was on and the alert was loud-but rightfully so, we as a society need to be made aware of this as quickly as possible. It’s very simple imo, if you don’t want to be bothered, put your phone on silent.
    Anyone complaining is clearly an idiot, and a poor excuse for a human.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    It’s very simple imo, if you don’t want to be bothered, put your phone on silent.
    It's not very simple. I'm concerned about the abuse of the Emergency Alert System. The more (blazing loud) alerts that go off even in a year, the more these alerts will be ignored.

Lets say if the last 7 alerts were Amber alerts most will think the 8th is the same. Except the 8th one is an extreme weather alert which affects thousands of lives. Having to set your phone to silent doesn't solve anything, in fact it puts lives at risk. That's why the EAS should have settings to control which alerts you want to receive, just like how it's done in the States.

The more you use an emergency system for a non emergency, the less of an emergency it becomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    It’s very simple imo, if you don’t want to be bothered, put your phone on silent.
    Negative.
    Here's the issue with your statement.
    Its actually NOT that simple.
    My parents are in Florida for the winter. If there is an emergency (which has already happened last year) they need to be able to contact me.
    So when my phone is on DND they can call thru anytime. If I put my phone on mute they will NOT be able to contact me.
    Imagine how may people have loved ones looking after elderly or have partners working high risk jobs. Your phone could be a lifeline to these people.
    Muting your phone is not an option for thousands of Canadians, me included.
    Also the system is used for more than just amber alerts.