Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Tips on Installing Rear Lowering Springs on 08 GT500

Question Looking for Tips on Installing Rear Lowering Springs on 08 GT500

Fronts look pretty straight forward (going to have to rent a spring compressor), but not sure on how to tackle the rears with just a pair of jack stands and a floor jack.

Was thinking to jack the rear up via the Diff, then support (on pinch welds) with jack stands. Use the floor jack to support the diff while removing the rear lower shock bolts....and then lowering the axle. Anything else have to be removed in order to get the axle to lower to get the stock springs out? Imagine the shorter Eibachs will be a lot easier to get in....hopefully not to much required to get the old springs out.

Any advice/tips appreciated. I'll be installing the Eibach Pro Kit.

Thanks!!

Rear sway bar links will need to be removed as well as I recall otherwise it is good to go. It has been a while since I did them.

Ok found a picture when I did it way back when lol.

Attachment 16260

Quote Originally Posted by Scrape View Post
    Ok found a picture when I did it way back when lol.

Attachment 16260
    Couldn't open the attachment...says it's invalid link?

ok lets try it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrape View Post
    ok lets try it this way.

Perfect, thanks a bunch!

Scott assuming you are a few years younger than I, you got this! Perhaps someone local will lend you a strut spring compressor, I would post a question on the Forum. Depending on how much you are lowering, you may want to consider taking some off of your jounce dumpers.

Built not bought! Follow this link to my 08 GT/CS Air Lift Performance Suspension Install Thread or this link to my Garage Thread

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my car and parts for what I told her they cost!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Scott assuming you are a few years younger than I, you got this! Perhaps someone local will lend you a strut spring compressor, I would post a question on the Forum. Depending on how much you are lowering, you may want to consider taking some off of your jounce dumpers.
    Thanks Scott! I'm 56 , and still in pretty good shape (knock on wood!), so should be up to the task. I'll stick with what Eibach specs as far as lowering. With the new (used) 19" wheels/tires I have to put on her, should look a lot better. Also like the fact that most say the Pro Kit offers the best of both worlds; lowered look with good ride quality/improved handling. That's exactly what I'm after.

One other thing I forgot to mention.....there is a Pan Hard bar installed. Not sure if that factors into the equation when it comes to installing the new springs.

I've done springs on my 06 GT and a 2010 GT, if they are the same there was no compressor needed, once the PHB, links and shocks are unbolted use the jack to lower the rear end slowly, once all the way down, on each side push down and pull the spring out. Eibach's go in with no effort. Super easy job.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick_89_Hatch View Post
    I've done springs on my 06 GT and a 2010 GT, if they are the same there was no compressor needed, once the PHB, links and shocks are unbolted use the jack to lower the rear end slowly, once all the way down, on each side push down and pull the spring out. Eibach's go in with no effort. Super easy job.
    Thanks slick! Wish I had a hoist/could use axle support tools. I don't particularly like lifting/supporting the axle via the Diff., but don't have that luxury. Definitely will try to minimize the time the car is supported by the Diff.