Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic car care stuff-black DD/family hauler

Basic car care stuff-black DD/family hauler

I don’t spend much time keeping cars clean and shiny anymore, but would like to do a better job with the family hauler. It’s a 2018 Grand Cherokee, all black, been keeping it clean by just washing and drying, and used some NuFinish paste on it before the winter just so it had something.
    I used to use Zaino and loved it, but wasn’t sure what would be best for a DD, as well as what is good for washing. Now, my wife does exactly nothing to keep the car clean, and she’s usually the one driving it, so I need suggestions for a durable wax/polish. I’d love it if there was no residue on plastic and rubber parts, but I can be careful if I need to.
    Also wondering what the deal is with the cannons, I don’t have a power washer but it looks cool and depending how it works I may be down to try it.

Funny my Mrs the same with her Rav , a good rain is a wash lol
    For readily avail stuff and limited effort I like Next tech 2.0 by Meguires , easy to use , doesn’t seem to leave white marks on plastics . I’m sure there’s better but ease and I like the smell of it lol ..,no I don’t sniff wax

I absolutely love my foam cannon. I wasn't sure if I would so I didn't spend a fortune but as I said, love it. Once you use one, you won't wash a car without it.

As much as I really like to try to keep the outside clean and given the time of year is nearly impossible, I am more fanatical about keeping the inside clean. Best dollar spend are the WeatherTech floor mats. Keeps the carpets clean and whatever migrates around the matts are quickly cleaned up. The detail cloths from Costco are a great buy as well. I always keep a clean one and a paint brush in the car for quick wiping and dusting. I did say fanatical, right.

lol the high commander is exactly the same and with all the kids and heir lazy ass habits if we every got lost we could easily survive for a week foraging thru the interior.

Mothers has a three wax system, I like that I'm still an old school by hand waxer. 3m also has an excellent wax in a black bottle (can't remember the name). Can be found a C. Tire was about $20 works fantastic on black and hides all swirls and light scuffs in the clear cote...
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Lol hammer I used to say same thing when my yute were kids , French fries & other edibles

hahaha - we don have baby seats anymore but the cushioning taste great with years of caked on Dairy Queen....lol
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Ahhhh sour milk , I hated cleaning our minivans back then...lots of effort & it would go to shiat same day , but those bottles and sip cups
    I’m in the clear by couple almost 2 decades now though

Quote Originally Posted by JZ67 View Post
    I absolutely love my foam cannon. I wasn't sure if I would so I didn't spend a fortune but as I said, love it. Once you use one, you won't wash a car without it.

As much as I really like to try to keep the outside clean and given the time of year is nearly impossible, I am more fanatical about keeping the inside clean. Best dollar spend are the WeatherTech floor mats. Keeps the carpets clean and whatever migrates around the matts are quickly cleaned up. The detail cloths from Costco are a great buy as well. I always keep a clean one and a paint brush in the car for quick wiping and dusting. I did say fanatical, right.
    Okay so can someone fill me in as to the benefits of the cannon and how to use it plz.
    Do you need a power Washer?
    Do you need to wash the car first/after?
    Is the product available in a jug or is it per use?

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    Okay so can someone fill me in as to the benefits of the cannon and how to use it plz.
    Do you need a power Washer?
    Do you need to wash the car first/after?
    Is the product available in a jug or is it per use?
    Check this out. Quite a few YT's on foam cannons. Think it will be my next purchase as well.

When it comes to detailing you can go from mild to really wild. So take that into consideration when looking at products.

That said, foam cannons have gained popularity in the last few years. Most work on a power sprayer and some require adapters to attach to those power sprayers (l.e. I had to buy one for my karcher). There are others that attach to your garden hose as well.

I have both, the garden hose one just helps get more soap on the car but won’t get you that stucco covered look of soap. It’s okay but in hindsight I wouldn’t have bought it.

Power sprayer model is much more effective. Essentially you wet the car and then you spray the soap. The idea is to let it dwell on the car to loosen dirt and help carry it off the finish without touching it as much. The less contact with your paint the less fine scratches. This tool works best on cars that have already gone through paint correction and sealant or ceramic coating. Note: you waste a lot more soap with this.

My X5 has undergone all of those steps and has ceramic coating as well. So usually I can foam cannon it, dwell, rinse and blow dry it with a Leaf blower and minimal waffle towel drying. Wheels still get washed the traditional way.

Hope that helps.
    FABMAN