Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little audio help, por favor.

A little audio help, por favor.

Hey all,

I had what I think is a reasonably decent system installed when I bought my Mustang. I am not an audiophile and honestly my brain just shuts off when it comes to amperes, ohms, watts and the like. I really need a dumbed down explanation to learn this and I am sure it isn't all that complicated but I know, accept and own my limitations.

I am also reasonably happy with the equipment but think there is something not quite right. At higher volume - about 3/4, the sound is distorted and not so great. Hoping someone with the needed skill set can help me out a bit - explain it to me like a 3 year old. My gut tells me the amplifier is underpowered and I could have better.

I have a Pioneer AVIC-X950BH head unit. Specs here. This is mated with a Kicker amplifier model CX300.1. Specs below. Running through 4 Pioneer TSA6885R speakers - specs also below. I also have a subwoofer but do not have any detailed information on it. I think it is a 12" sub 600W if I recall correctly.

If someone wants to give me the 'Car audio for dummies tutorial' I would be happy to have it.

Cheers
    JZ67

Based on the info you have given.
    Your door speakers will are being powered by the radio, they do have lower power ratings and may distort at higher volumes.
    The amplifier is a single channel driving the sub on its own.
    Where are you located, I might be able to help you out on a cheap upgrade

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I e been out of the auto game for quite awhile so I. Sure someone will correct me if I. Wrong but it looks like that amp is a mono or sub amp really only meant for using with a sub. Not for regular speakers.

You would probably get a better sound running your speakers direct off the deck or getting yourself a 4 channel amp to power the 4 speakers.

Keep in mind Rms is more important that max power. Rms is standard performance out of an amp.

It’s also important to “tune” your amp most have filter adjustments to get that clean crisp sound. But that’s all about hearing it. When in doubt set them to the mid point.

IMO it’s better to have a cleaner sound than the loudest.

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    Based on the info you have given.
    Your door speakers will are being powered by the radio, they do have lower power ratings and may distort at higher volumes.
    The amplifier is a single channel driving the sub on its own.
    Where are you located, I might be able to help you out on a cheap upgrade

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Thank you, this makes sense to me. I'm in Pickering so not exactly next door to Burlington. What kind of equipment do you have in mind? I can get behind a cheap upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    IMO it’s better to have a cleaner sound than the loudest.
    100% agree with you. There are those moments when a crisp clean sound is just not loud enough.

My guess is Nick is right and the amp is running only the sub. The door and deck speakers are running off the head unit which should play fine but will be underpowered if you want to turn it up. Adding a 4 channel amp will wake them up and improve sound quality.

Uncle Buck the best thing you can do is, run the sub with the mono amp and pick up a 4 Chanel amp for the rest of your speaker system. Keep in mind that sound will escape the cabin if no sound proofing is used. Are you running the door and rear speakers off the factory amps.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell6 View Post
    Uncle Buck the best thing you can do is, run the sub with the mono amp and pick up a 4 Chanel amp for the rest of your speaker system. Keep in mind that sound will escape the cabin if no sound proofing is used. Are you running the door and rear speakers off the factory amps.
    There isn't a factory amp.

The shaker 500 or 1000 systems had factory amps, on the 500 they just power the 8” door speakers not the highs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It sounds to me like you have all the right stuff, just need to tune it.

Make sure you have the cross-overs turned on to cut the bass out of the 4 5X8 speakers and cut the highs from the subwoofer.

The other issue that no one ever addresses is the power wiring to the headunit. The factory power wiring is usually only 18 or 20 awg.
    When you turn up the volume, the voltage at the headunit drops and you get distortion.
    Run a 12 awg or bigger wire to power your headunit right back to the battery with a fuse in-line.