Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
Anyone flying on a Boeing 737 MAX8 soon? Grounded in Canada now too.
Figured it deserved it's own thread. Surprised it took Canada so long to ground these aircraft. Should have been grounded immediately in my opinion. Two planes falling out of the sky in similar fashion within months of each other suggests more than just a coincidence.

"There are -- and I hasten to say not conclusive -- but there are similarities" between the Ethiopian Airlines flight profile and that of a Lion Air flight involving the same aircraft that crashed off the Indonesian coast in October, [Marc Garneau] said. Those similarities, he said, "exceed a certain threshold in our minds with respect to the possible cause of what happened in Ethiopia. This is not conclusive, but it is something that points possibly in that direction, and at this point we feel that threshold has been crossed. The "safety notice" means none of the aircraft can fly into, out of, or over Canada, he added: "I will not hesitate to take swift action should we discover any additional safety issues."
I get that one needs to reserve caution when making a statement, but this seems excessively so. Are we trying to not hurt Boeing's feelings?
It's usually better to wait for facts rather than jump to conclusions, but in this case I think ground the planes while you get the facts. Seems like a no-brainer.
Ground them if for no other reason than to avoid hysteria at the gate as people refuse to get on the plane.