Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boeing 737 MAX8

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    I don't know much about planes but in this modern time I would look to software - in the trucking industry with high emission expectations mandated by the gov. Brand new trucks have a gazillion sensors and sensitivity to emissions and are D rating and shutting down in their tracks. Many times on the open road. The new systems also require very expensive routine emissions maintenance that usually get push aside or not done due to urgency and to reduce down time - I could believe it to software
    Agreed, complexity outpaces ability a lot when targets and standards are thrust upon an industry by regulatory entities that don't understand the engineering behind meeting these requirments. On that note, sometimes I have nightmares where I wake up screaming 'MAXXFORCE, NOOOOOOOO!"
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

May shape up to be another government bail out by the sounds of it
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Hope Boeing, et al... get this figured out. Such a needless loss of life.

Friends were heading out of T.O. this morning on Air Canada....they were booked on a Max8...looks like they made it out...on a different plane.

stangstevers
    Are they finding ways to automate piloting more and more so they can either use "cheaper" pilots (requiring less training, less math skills) or be able to stretch pilot's capacity no longer factoring errors from fatigue?

Quote Originally Posted by stangstevers View Post
    Are they finding ways to automate piloting more and more so they can either use "cheaper" pilots (requiring less training, less math skills) or be able to stretch pilot's capacity no longer factoring errors from fatigue?
    I read a story on CBC says the new jet is an old model retro- fitted with a new engine. A bigger engine to get better fuel mileage - without redesigning the plane to accommodate the new engine it was causing a nose dive issue and software was designed to correct the issue but pilots not informed. This is all speculation from an engineer not the bible - but with all the planes grounded stock prices are tanking - it reminds me of the airbag situation a few years ago - short take on the story
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

The nacelles for the MAX are larger and placed higher and further forward of the wing,
    Interesting technical article:
    https://leehamnews.com/2018/11/14/bo...to-the-pilots/
    Note the date on the article is Nov. 2018.

It’s probably this counterintuitive characteristic, which goes against what has been trained many times in the simulator for unwanted autopilot trim or manual trim runaway, which has confused the pilots of JT610
    ^^^what I was saying in post #5
    -Don____________

Awesome article, thanks for posting that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Have a friend who's an airline engineer and we use to talk about emissions and years ago they were beginning to get pressure from the gov. Like all other mods of transportation - Maybe this was a attempt for less pollution using less fuel but cheeping out on the design - end users would eatup the concept of saving money on fuel
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Club Supporter
    No it's about fuel. They all took a hit on their income statements in 2018 due to higher jet fuel costs and a lot of the recent/upcoming fleet upgrades will help with fuel efficiency/cost per seat mile, and range flexibility to be able to switch between sun destinations and Europe with same fleet, depending on season). Transat just released their Q1 2019 results today and they're still dealing with higher fuel prices (among other things). Their competitors were also dealing with the same issue in their 2018 results and I expect to see similar when their 2019 quarterly results start to come out.