Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Insurance for new G2 driver...

Have the same issue here. 2 of 3 daughters daughters still at home, one 18 and the other 20. If they are secondary drivers on our policy they are only about $50/month to carry. Add one more vehicle and things get offside. We are either to be destined to drive them around, give up our own vehicle or public transit - uber, et al.

The insurance companies have been allowed to get away with this for far too long. The impact on families and the young simply isn't right. I'm not that dad that will pay $10k/year so my kids can drive their own car just to chauffeur their friends around. F that. I gave them both the wonderful gift of responsibility. You want your own car, get a job and save your money for the car nut and insurance because this crotchity bastard isn't giving the insurance companies any more.

See if any of ur current vehicles are cheaper to put her as primary ....if not buy her an F150 lol , ya it’s our fault
    F is less because less occupant injury claims . Went through this years ago
    Try Wawanessa , my son has his own policies with them now and under 25 . If u need a contact pm me

There’s no loyalty imo with these companies, I’m slowly switching my stuff over too
    Last edited by Screw; 03-18-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen06GT View Post
    She would be considered a primary driver, even if the car is in my or my wife’s name. Three cars, three drivers so each driver is s considered as a primary.
    I have gone through this same situation with my kids over the last few years. All 5 of my cars/truck are in my name and the 4 family members are listed as the primary driver of each vehicle they drive. My son has a '12 focus since he got his G2 4 years ago and it his insurance is right around $1600 a year. My daughter drives our '07 Camry and she pays about $1500 a year and she is now 22. They guarteed her rate until she turns 25 or finishes school. She is complete now, but they based her rate on high grades. They stated that smart students make better decisions when it come to driving. I am with State Farm ( Desjardin ) and have been for 32 years with a 6 star rating, so my kids piggyback off of my stellar history. The only caveat is that it is a no ticket/ no accident rate.

The other reason for our low rates is where we live. Supposedly Georgetown ( Halton Hills ) has one of the lowest incident rates in Canada according to my agent. If you live in Brampton..........well........you're gonna pay.

Carmen

Back in 2004, I was paying $5k/year (about $6,500 in today's dollars) to drive a '98 Sunfire as a primary driver with no collision coverage - that's with driving school, no accidents, no tickets, in the Etobicoke area. If I remember right, the cheapest car I got a quote on at the time was a Ford Ranger, which was about $4k. Sorry, don't have a recommendation for you, just some perspective, since those rates sound pretty good to me.

better off getting a quebec lic and their insurance ONT is simply a ripoff prov whereby the INS cos are in collusion with govt and police
    '86 LX--5.2 Predator,TVS 2.65,built 6r80,308 gear,recaros,etc, 863 rwhp....@15 psi
    '03 Cobra DSG built 4v,TW cams,built t56.G-force axles ---3.0 Whipple 840 rwhp……….(18psi)
    '23 Ranger Lariat Splash.

Quote Originally Posted by mavrrrick View Post
    Insurance companies = legal rape....JMO
    So true,LOL.
    Back in the early 80's as a teenager I was driving a 1972 Mach 1 Mustang,351C-4V.

The car was in my fathers name for insurance and it was like less than $300 a year for full coverage.
    (maybe even less than that as I remember he got a reduction for not driving it in the winter,as it wasn't winter driven)

Insurance company didn't know I was the primary driver.
    Those days are long gone now,lol.

I miss that car.
    Getting a drivers license back then was so easy.

Roushcharged
    Welcome to the club Stephen. So last year I ended up getting a 2018 Honda Civic SE for the girls to use. Living in Brampton doesn't help and having twins means twice the $$$!!! Anyhow insurance has one of them as secondary and one as occasional.... It cost me approx $360 for each of them per year, not so bad but then for some reason all my premiums went up too. I was told it cost more to repair cars now with all the new camera and sensor technology built in to them. I guess it doesn't matter that I've never had an at fault accident since I got my license or any traffic tickets for that matter. So my math had me at approx $4100-4500 for both vehicles. With everything said and done and compensation for the new expensive bumpers and windshields it cost me $6000/yr for two vehicles. Having Celeste as principal I don't think the quote your getting is over exaggerated. Good luck buddy I just hope down the line they will actually get a better rate because we got them insured so young. But something tells me it won't matter.
    Last edited by allicedout; 05-14-2019 at 03:30 PM.

You guys are scaring me now. My daughter is 13, I hope I can afford to allow her to drive when she turns 16. Ouch.

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    You guys are scaring me now. My daughter is 13, I hope I can afford to allow her to drive when she turns 16. Ouch.
    My wife is upset that I have not been too pro active pushing my daughter (20yrs) to finally get her g2?

There’s a reason why lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

Quote Originally Posted by newbiestangowner View Post
    My wife is upset that I have not been too pro active pushing my daughter (20yrs) to finally get her g2?

There’s a reason why lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The G2 doesn't hurt. Having a kid as a primary driver on a vehicle, that does.