Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  10

Thread: S197 guys, check your loom!

S197 guys, check your loom!

As my 06 starts to age, I try to inspect it more closely for signs of upcoming trouble and tend to them sooner than later.

The latest was the starter wires that run done the passenger side of the engine compartment. I noticed the wire loom had become crusty and much of it was gone. Same was true for the power supply that goes to the under hood fuse box. The stock routing runs these wires fairly low on the strut tower and not too far from the exhaust manifold.

I think the combination of boost, track days and age was too much for the loom. The wires themselves looked fine as I caught this condition early.

Some new loom and a new routing higher on the strut tower was a cheap and easy fix that probably avoided some grief down the road.

No pics since this mod isn't pic worthy lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    ...I try to inspect it more closely for signs of upcoming trouble and tend to them sooner than later.
    If the movie 2001 taught me anything: replacing the AE-35 unit before it fails only gets you into more trouble.

Those plastic corrugated wire looms get quite brittle with age (and heat). Good catch.
    I noticed one coming apart on my car, the one running across the front of the oil pan. Turns out it was due to a failing balancer!

That repair lead to replacing the balancer, then the water pump, then the timing chain, and almost a new cam!
    -Don____________

you were half way to installing your heads, cam and intake
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

Yes, yes he was.

Monera3v
    05-09, a lot of cars are starting to have rot appeared in a lot of our Americans friends.
    I as well,

My floorboard has rotted out from the gas pedal to square around to the rocker panel.