Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  23

View Poll Results: What should Ontario do with front license plates laws?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get rid of front plates.

43 95.56%
  • Keep front plates

2 4.44%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ontario government considering eliminating front license plates

stangstevers
    I'm looking for an 80's plate for the notch.

Even if passed, custom plates are staying on - MAVRRICK

DinoZ
    Look rather familiar, the one on the left

Got a message back from my MPP today, sounds like front plates are staying. Here is the main text of her message:

Starting February 1, 2020, all licence plates issued will be of the new plate design and Ontarians will also be able to voluntarily purchase a new licence plate featuring one of two optimistic slogans. Ontario Passenger Plates will feature the tagline "A Place to Grow" harkening to Ontario's unofficial 'A Place to Stand, a Place to Grow' anthem first debuted at Expo '67. Ontario Commercial Plates will feature the slogan 'Open for Business' which reflects the province's renewed commitment to economic growth and job creation across the province.

The new design of Ontario driver's licences, which includes the new Ontario logo, will be available in the fall. The government is also ensuring that police have the tools they need to keep roads and communities safe by improving the quality of Ontario's licence plates and keeping both the front and rear licence plates on vehicles.

Modernizing the licence plate and how the plate is produced will save taxpayers millions of dollars each year. In addition to savings associated with the plate itself, significant year-over-year savings will be realized through the planned deployment of new, on-demand manufacturing and delivery technologies that will dramatically reduce the need for inventory warehousing and handling, streamline production, improve the customer experience, and reduce the waste of core inputs such as aluminum.

Ontario’s current plates are beaded and oversized compared to the North American standard for size. The new Ontario plate will use high definition sheeting that is stronger, brighter and longer lasting than the current Ontario licence plate and is proven technology used across other North American regions.

This new logo will achieve millions of dollars of cost savings across government. Just since 2011, taxpayers have paid over $2 million for the government to dilute its own brand.
    Last edited by fast Ed; 04-18-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    12 GT500 coupe
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

^^^ Stupid decision IMO on keeping front plates. Many jurisdictions go without them and I'm sure their Police dept./safety issues are barely affected. I just don't get it....

Thanks Ed. I have seen similar in the media. Very unfortunate.

stangstevers
    Missed opportunity for sure... sounds like they are planning on JIT manufacturing process. Which was created at Toyota, I think back in the 50's

Club Supporter
    Had a conversation with a family member in government at Easter dinner last night and there were multiple layers to the decision (design, 1-2 plate, harmonize plate size to US size for manufacturing considerations, etc) - sounds like it's still on the table for the future so we shouldn't let off on them. They're still making the plates at Central East Correctional Centre in Lindsay.

Interesting convo on the budget mess left by Dalton/Wynne though (eg. daily deficit between revenue coming in and what's paid out, and the percentage of that payout that's just interest payment - scary).

stangstevers
    Where in the conservative cycle in the province where they make nasty cuts (hard decisions, tough call for strong leadership)... then it will be a liberal government to increase spending and debt again but make the province happier (short term), rinse and repeat. We just can't ever afford liberals at the federal level, it's pretty dangerous at this point.

Wynne/Mcguinty wasn't all terrible though. We are off of coal (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by stangstevers View Post
    Where in the conservative cycle in the province where they make nasty cuts (hard decisions, tough call for strong leadership)... then it will be a liberal government to increase spending and debt again but make the province happier (short term), rinse and repeat. We just can't ever afford liberals at the federal level, it's pretty dangerous at this point.

Wynne/Mcguinty wasn't all terrible though. We are off of coal (I think).
    Great reason to introduce legislation that sets up spending limits for ANY party in power, and protect the very most important items; Health care, education, infrastructure, etc.