Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GEL CELL charging ?

From Optima's website. Not sure if this helps or not.

Both the OPTIMA Chargers Digital 400 and Digital 1200 12V Performance Battery Charger and Maintainer enhance the performance of OPTIMA and other AGM batteries, recover deeply discharged batteries and extend battery life. However, under normal vehicle-starting applications, most regular automatic lead-acid battery chargers will properly charge an OPTIMA battery. However, since OPTIMA batteries are frequently used in high-performance applications or nonstandard vehicle-starting applications, there are certain instances that must be given special considerations.
    An OPTIMA battery is an AGM battery, not a gel battery or regular flooded battery. A deeply discharged OPTIMA battery (less than 10.5 volts) will not test or recharge properly if treated as a gel battery or regular flooded battery. A handheld electronic battery tester will most likely provide inaccurate results.
    An OPTIMA battery has the benefit of very low internal resistance, which allows high-amperage output as well as efficient charge acceptance. This benefit also allows an OPTIMA battery to run longer than its specified ratings and run at a lower voltage than typical flooded batteries. All of this can lead to confusion when it comes to recharging a deeply discharged OPTIMA. Most basic battery chargers have a built-in function to prevent charging a battery with less than 10.5 volts. If your OPTIMA battery is discharged below that, the battery charger may not start up.
    Most high-quality, modern battery chargers now have built-in features to charge AGM batteries like OPTIMA batteries. Some have specific AGM settings, which should be used to charge an OPTIMA battery. Do not use gel or gel/AGM settings, as they will not fully charge an OPTIMA battery and could damage it over time. However, even some AGM-compatible chargers will not recharge deeply discharged (less than 10.5 volts) OPTIMA batteries. In those instances, it may be necessary to follow the parallel charging instructions.
    For regular charging, we recommend a maximum of 10 amps, 13.8 to 15.0 volts. For float charging, we recommend one amp maximum, 13.2 to 13.8 volts.
    Under normal (engine-starting) conditions, an OPTIMA battery should never experience “at-rest” voltages below 10.5 volts. In these applications, most 12-volt chargers (old or new) or alternators will sufficiently recharge an OPTIMA battery with at least 10.5 volts. Typically, we only see issues with charging when it relates to stand-alone deep-cycling applications or severely discharged OPTIMA batteries.
    These guidelines are intended for typical consumer applications. For military, commercial applications or new equipment design, please contact OPTIMA for additional technical information and assistance.
    Can you trickle-charge an OPTIMA battery? And what type of charger can I use?

Yes, and you can use any charger on an OPTIMA battery as long as the voltage is regulated properly. If your charger will remain on indefinitely, the voltage should be at 13.8 volts maximum with a one-amp maximum current.
    Will my high-output alternator damage the OPTIMA battery?

No, as long as the voltage is properly regulated. Because the OPTIMA battery has a very low internal resistance, it will accept high current more efficiently than conventional batteries.

It appears that is exactly what my charger(s) are doing , but she still doesn't wanna budge past half charge, battery output reading currently at 10.5 V !

BTW ~ its a D34M , blue top marine dual post top !
    ~REMEMBER, " life in prison" doesn't mean SHIT to a senior citizen ~ http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/for...4&type=profile

Is the 10.5 voltage while the battery is charging? May have to do a parallel charge if voltage is so low. How old is the battery? Have tried only using one charger and letting it charge longer?
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

We've also seen success hooking one to a good / charged battery via booster cables and letting it sit for a day followed up by slow charger hooked to good battery for another day. While charging them is said to be straight forward, once dead flat they can be a prick to bring back to life. My distaste for Optima batteries runs deep.

Chargers off, 10.5 V output ! the 2 amp didn't do, the floating charge seems to be doing a better job , as mentioned I'll leave'em on charging and see what happens !

Unsure of age < looks new , but the car was barely driven .
    ~REMEMBER, " life in prison" doesn't mean SHIT to a senior citizen ~ http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/for...4&type=profile

Now up to 13.5 V and a little above 1/2 on the charging meter, decided to give it the 2 amp charge for 24 hours and see if that makes any difference !

So any updates Glen? Just being curious at the moment.

Still the same as the post above yours, still on slow 2 amp charge overnight ! if the weather clears I'm going to put the battery in my vert , If needed i will boost it then ,going to drive around for an hour and see what that does, I found out its around 14 years old, so it owes nothing to no one !

If it does not come up on charge, suggest not putting it in the car, may over tax / damage alt.

14?years = replace.... no??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk