Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power washing engine????

Power washing engine????

Hey guys. Now that the Foxbody Mustang has been freed from emissions slavery. I'm planning to do work on my car. Now I have a 1989 LX 5.0 notchback and I never power washed the engine before. Now things like the alternator I know you are supposed to cover and well as electrical leads so does anyone have any advice on how to do this since it is my first time.

Thanks,

K.B

Cover the wiper motor (trust me), distributor cap and wires and throttle body as well. But I do not suggest a power washer. A more gentle spray method is recommended.

Spray the greasy, dirty parts with Simple Green or similar cleaner and let sit for a few minutes. Agitate with an old paint brush. Apply more cleaner if necessary. Rinse with a light spray. Repeat if necessary. Do NOT use use high pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen06GT View Post
    Spray the greasy, dirty parts with Simple Green or similar cleaner and let sit for a few minutes. Agitate with an old paint brush. Apply more cleaner if necessary. Rinse with a light spray. Repeat if necessary. Do NOT use use high pressure.
    This has always been my go to solution for engine cleaning. Works very well.
    FABMAN

If you use power washer don't get right up on it with pressure....stay safe distance back. After I take airline and dry all connections(electrical). Never had an issue. (knock on wood)

Adding to the above, if washing a modular engine where plugs sit up top in a recess, all coils must be removed and holes blown or vac'd dry before restarting the engine.

Okay thanks guys for the advice won't use a power washer. I'll use a regular hose but not on full.

Quote Originally Posted by JZ67 View Post
    That is a great detailed video...Thanks!

Good video, worth watching.

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue