Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.75lb high-power Lithium-Ion battery question

m2m

5.75lb high-power Lithium-Ion battery question

Hello.. TMCer's

Does anyone know if a 2000 GT has the PCM controlled “Smart Charging System”?

I can not find any info about it online other than some 2018+ models have a smart charging system alternator.

below is a cut / paste from their site(link below)

(NOTE: For later model Ford MUSTANG, and FOCUS MODELS, the PCM controlled “Smart Charging System” is not compatible with the RE-START feature; please see below.)

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...tive/atx30-rs/

Thanks for reading....

MM

Sorry I can't answer your question but that's really cool technology and light weight too. Easy way to drop 30-40 lbs.
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

m2m
    Absolutely! Super light!

sounds cool - i noticed on my 2018 volt gage shows the voltage fluctuating between 12-15 volts give or take sometimes it even drops into the 11's and moves beyond 15 - that must be the smart charging working. I thought i had an electrical issue but "smart charging" would explain this on my car. "Late Model" in their description is vague but i would think your car does not have the smart charge alternator or a 2000 model year. - I think this battery would work in a 2018 but the "re-strat" feature may not work - don't quote me that's just my understanding - you could try a call a parts supplier and grill them with some alternator questions - until now i was unaware of a "smart Alternator" smart alternators may be new to most parts jobbers but a ford dealer may have the answers...?
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

m2m
    Hey Hammerhead.

Yes, the smart charging seems to have a fight with the "re-start" feature but some have found a way around it with a Forscan tool and the Ford GT charging profile. Its all beyond me....
    super long thread ->here

I did find out that my 2000 GT does not have the smart charging system. Scott the owner of Antigravity batteries sent me a message saying it will work.

Would like to see what your doing for terminals, battery tray and maybe an installed pic.
    Really interested in this, really simple way to loose front end weight.
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

“Smart charging” likely goes hand-in-hand with “re-start”, which in simple terms means a car with the modern feature of shutting the car off at stops and restarting it automatically as you lift your foot from the accelerator pedal. So as you already know, no, your car does not have this feature.

The problem with lipo batteries that they work between 3.0-4.2V per cell. Your I believe that lipo battery will have 3 cells to add up to 9V empty and 12.6 charged. If you go above 12.6 ...fire. If you go below 2.9V ...fire. The car has no way of cutting off power or preventing an overcharge or discharge situation with the battery. Fun fact, you can jump start a car using a 3 or 4 cell RC cap battery

m2m
    Hey IBAD92LX, I will do some photos of the install later this month.

m2m
    Does anyone know what the amp draw is with all stock accessories on? Or is there a list of the stock accessory draw?