Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  47
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So my new Coyote developed the tick yesterday

stangstevers

So my new Coyote developed the tick yesterday

You know the BBQ igniter sound at random from 1500 to 2500 rpm not under load.

Anyway I'm sure it's not a bearing or piston slap. But in the event I'm wrong and it goes boom I will either LS swap it (even if it's under warranty) or get rid of it and my lifetime Ford love affair is done.

I expect noises from my fox that has noisy roller rockers but if I put my pushrod 5.0 to stock it won't make any noises from the crankcase.

Big shout out to dasilva for helping out trying to discover WTF is going on with the thing. It's amazing that this level of service still exists in 2019 which is rare these days.

did you hear it before or after the oil change? just curiosity on my part - i recently changed my oil - one thing I discovered is 10 U.S. quarts doesn't take it to the full line on the stick (i purchased U.S. oil did the change myself) I did not add anymore oil than 10 quarts - When i purchased my car i added one litre to the oil that was in the engine. The car had 5000K on it when i purchased it - The added litre took me to the add line on the stick - I did not add anymore oil and ran the car to 8500k then changed the oil. during that 3500k the oil level in the car did not drop. With the new oil i have no tick - there is noise i attribute to pulleys and the sound carries to the the back of the engine as the undercarriage appears to be well designed for decent aero. all my noise comes from the front externals of the engine which leads me to believe it's pulleys and belts - no upper engine internal noise.

2018 to take 10qts
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Oh shiat , what’s Joes take on this ?

Part of the reason we are hearing noises never heard before, rest of the engine is so damm quiet.

stangstevers
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    did you hear it before or after the oil change? just curiosity on my part - i recently changed my oil - one thing I discovered is 10 U.S. quarts doesn't take it to the full line on the stick (i purchased U.S. oil did the change myself) I did not add anymore oil than 10 quarts - When i purchased my car i added one litre to the oil that was in the engine. The car had 5000K on it when i purchased it - The added litre took me to the add line on the stick - I did not add anymore oil and ran the car to 8500k then changed the oil. during that 3500k the oil level in the car did not drop. With the new oil i have no tick - there is noise i attribute to pulleys and the sound carries to the the back of the engine as the undercarriage appears to be well designed for decent aero. all my noise comes from the front externals of the engine which leads me to believe it's pulleys and belts - no upper engine internal noise.

2018 to take 10qts
    yup after the oil change... had to start somewhere I guess. Reason I don't do oil changes myself on this one is for warranty (and laziness) in case Ford decides to screw me on a 10k engine due to their lack of QA.

The noise is too intermittent and stable to be anything serious. Lots of frantic stories online about bearings, rod knock, piston slap and new engines after a bunch of work done at the dealerships. However I doubt this will end as one of those stories... Maybe it's a hint for me to just boost the stupid car and see what happens LOL Wife won't agree to that and I only got 2 more seasons to go with it, after that it's either a Tesla S or a Porsche Panamara.

Just an idea, did you replace with OEM oil filter, the same filter that was used when wasn't making noises...I don't know why but some vehicles only like certain oil filters, otherwise they make noises...just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by stangstevers View Post
    yup after the oil change... had to start somewhere I guess. Reason I don't do oil changes myself on this one is for warranty (and laziness) in case Ford decides to screw me on a 10k engine due to their lack of QA.

The noise is too intermittent and stable to be anything serious. Lots of frantic stories online about bearings, rod knock, piston slap and new engines after a bunch of work done at the dealerships. However I doubt this will end as one of those stories... Maybe it's a hint for me to just boost the stupid car and see what happens LOL Wife won't agree to that and I only got 2 more seasons to go with it, after that it's either a Tesla S or a Porsche Panamara.
    From all the hoopla I've read the tick comes after the first oil change - I don't have any knock but I've seen videos with the knock noise. I believe the knock could be from a combination of things but likely cheap fuel, cheap oil, and extended oil changes and maybe a ton of abusive driving. I chose an oil based on its ingredients and high heat a sheer value - the manual recommends a blend I didnt like that idea. If the tick is coming after the first oil change it makes me wonder what the factor put in. I'm thinking it has something equivalent to a break in oil out of the factory or a mor pure synthetic with higher moly and zinc levels. I would have to guess a cheaper oil may cause noise from the cams that may give off a tick noise - just my guess. So far for me no tick will continue to use quality oil and 94/to avoid any preignition and knock.
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Quote Originally Posted by bbriann View Post
    Just an idea, did you replace with OEM oil filter, the same filter that was used when wasn't making noises...I don't know why but some vehicles only like certain oil filters, otherwise they make noises...just an idea.
    I did give the filter a lot of consideration. For know I'm going with High quality quaker state filter but may move to something different for the next oil chnage...
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Part of the reason we are hearing noises never heard before, rest of the engine is so damm quiet.
    This is very true I find the engine extremely smooth...
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    If the tick is coming after the first oil change it makes me wonder what the factor put in
    Would laugh if it was good ‘ol 10W30, same shit we’ve been using for decades, despite the modern engines, tighter tolerances, blah blah blah 5W20 BS.
    -Don____________