Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  47
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So my new Coyote developed the tick yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Would laugh if it was good ‘ol 10W30, same shit we’ve been using for decades, despite the modern engines, tighter tolerances, blah blah blah 5W20 BS.
    I'm thinking of sending a sample into a lab, but I'm unsure if mine still has the original oil in it as the odometer had 5k and that may not be an original reading with computers and all their wonders....just saying...lol
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

High Quality Quaker State filter, they haven't made that one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    High Quality Quaker State filter, they haven't made that one yet.
    that's the best one i could catch for this change as the mileage creeped up on me fast...lol
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

stangstevers
    5w20 is for increasing MPG right? Less parasitic drag on the internals.

Anyway, yes to Ford filter. I may do my next oil change so I can take the time to cut open the oil filter and look for signs of issues which I highly doubt. I also ordered some CeraTec which a lot of people claim stops the noise.

I wonder if these engines require additional work to prime the system. Don't they have some sort of oil sprayer nozzles or something to cool down the pistons? I wonder if that stupid tick sound is just air getting trapped or something stupid? It's so random that it doesn't seem to coincide with anything but it is coming from the long-block I'm sure. And I've been around Dodges and Chevys enough to know what rod knock sounds like LMAO.

I think my 2011 had the same issue albeit less prominent. Plus I'm very sensitive to noises, to me a car at this price-point shouldn't sound worse than a 30 year old Hyundai. Kind of turning me off to Fords to be dead honest. I'm just hoping that if there is a serious issue, it really breaks while still under warranty. I don't have time to deal with dealership warranties that will keep the car for a week or so, change the timing chain or other unrelated issue only to have a 16 year old drive the piss out of the car and wreck something else like the 6 speed, only to have the same problem if not worse and eventually another 2 or 3 weeks to dump a new shortblock in. <- anyway that's just me thinking worst case and I'm not that worried about it happening, just feel facetious this morning.

With so many engines developing a "tick", has there not been any engines fail due to the tick?
    Simple failure mode analysis would be to run it until it breaks.

Typical Ford Engineering solution will be to develop a white noise generator to cancel out the tick.
    Don't fix it, add something to counter it.
    -Don____________

stangstevers
    I don't think there are many catastrophic failures for sure and those who claim there are they've suffered most likely an unrelated issue. There's a point where there'd be a fix and some sort of recall if tick == failure. Thankfully the Borlas help to reduce the tick noises a little LOL Not a ford fix but still a good one.

I'd recommend getting an oil sample off to blackstone labs in Chicago......cheap way to find out if there is indeed excessive metal wear going on in your motor.

stangstevers
    LOL... looks like Ford publicized that this is a "normal" noise. My guess it has something to do with tolerances and break-in juice in the oil from factory.

Not to be confused with the 2018 issue, what my turd has has been known since the start of the Coyote, trucks get the tick too.

I run 10w30 full synthetic oil from Canadian tire in mine with a Ford filter. Also, have a JLT passenger side oil catch can.

Here is a picture of the oil:

10w30.jpg

Steve just try using the heavier weight oil as a fix, it may work.

Don’t believe I have any issues yet and I plan to “enjoy” my 5.0 very much on May 13th at TMP. So the only tick I am worried about is coming from the stopwatch as I need to get better lap times. LOL
    Last edited by FABMAN; 04-16-2019 at 11:49 AM.
    FABMAN