Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recent experience at the dealer in my F150

Recent experience at the dealer in my F150

Thought I would share this story with other F150 owners and I’ll try and sum it up quickly.

Received a recall for a sensor for my 2012 F150 5L with 170kms on the clock. The truck was running fine but it recently started leaking a little coolant in the driveway overnight.

Booked the appointment at Fraser Ford for the recall and got quoted $305 tax in for spark plugs which I thought was a good time to do them at a reasonable price.
    I thought about doing them myself but for that price I thought I would leave it to the qualified Ford technicians after viewing how many things could go wrong if I did it.

After researching the coolant leak I was convinced it was the common O ring failure located in the rad hose.
    So I also asked Ford to price me the O ring part and install.

I dropped the truck off and couple hours later they called me and said they did a pressure test on the coolant system and diagnosed the problem as NOT the O ring but stated a new thermostat, rad hose and T connector was required and with a coolant flush and service I was looking at nearly $1000 plus tax for that and the price for plugs was incorrect and was actually $305 plus tax.
    Also it was $60 to pressure test the system.

Needless to say I lost my mind....and said I never asked for a coolant diagnostic and refused to pay the $60 and for them not to proceed at all with the coolant issue and I would repair it myself.
    I argued the $50 tax for the plugs but he simply said it was a misunderstanding and the price was $350.

Next....about 2hrs later service guy calls me back and says the mechanic broke two bolts that hold the coils down and now one new valve cover was required and 2.5hrs to change it and I was looking at an additional $800 plus tax.
    I advised him that the truck was not there for a valve cover and the problem wasn’t mine because they have experienced qualified technicians.
    This argument went on for sometime and eventually I went directly to the dealership manager with it.
    The end result was I got the new valve cover, bolts and spark plugs for $640 total tax in.
    Which I wasn’t happy about but content you can say cause I didn’t feel I got totally ripped off.

The following day I went back into Fraser Ford and purchased the O ring with the part number I provided for $8 followed by a trip to Carquest for 2 jugs of Ford approved 50/50 coolant for $40.

It honestly took me 15mins to change this O ring and the issue is 100% repaired and hasn’t leaked a drop of coolant since.

I waited a couple days just to make sure everything was good and I contacted Ford and you better believe I left my negative feedback. In terms of money back they said the dealers were privately owned and each was responsible for reimbursement. I feel I exhausted that one out at the time and I would only be wasting my time.

Hope this helps others on here cause I know many others own F150s.

Part number for that O ring is BC3Z-8590-F and many vids can be found on U tube regarding the simple install of it.

My 2012 F150 also leaked at the t-connector, I did the repair myself as the local dealer was way out to lunch on price.
    Also at my last oil change they reminded me about the spark plugs, (I'm at 138,000 kms)and they mentioned the possibility of having to replace the cover (extra$$$) if the bolts broke when they tried to remove them

WOW!!! Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Hard to believe the price they wanted....

I also have a 2012 F-150 that was leaking coolant at the T-connection. Can't believe Ford has these horrible hose connections. Major fail in the F-150's. I replaced mine for almost $150. Now it appears to be leaking coolant that the connection to the reservoir. The recall did cure the shifting /clunk when coming to a stop. I've been looking at the new GMC Sierra's and RAM 1500's.
    Last edited by Boomer; 04-16-2019 at 04:53 PM.

I can forgive the mistake on the taxes in price when they meant pretax price, that's honestly something that happen and while annoying shouldn't be reason to lose cool.

The pressure test, more than likely this dealer has had issues in the past when a customer self diagnoses an issue and asks for a specific repair, only to have the customer become irate when that performed work doesn't actually solve their issue. Probably a CYA move on their behalf, however it totally should have been conveyed to you prior to work being authorized as it's an additional cost from what was likely quoted. Not a huge party foul, again just annoying.

I would however, straight up lose my mind at a $350 bill turning in to a $650 bill because someone broke some bolts. Unless you were the last one to change the plugs and tightened them with an impact gun or somehow fouled the threads then I can't say I'd be taking ownership of that bill. A main part of paying someone to do work is to avoid the pratfalls and broken parts that can occur when wrenching isn't your everyday jig, or coming up with proper solutions that don't negate pounding more parts at it. I can acknowledge that "anything is possible" when working on cars but I would still have protested the fact that two snapped bolts turns in to new valve cover territory. Would removing the snapped bolts not be a possible solution? Drilling out and helicoil? Sure those are more cost and time effective than having to source and install and entire new cover and gasket assembly.

Sounds like they were upset with your protesting their methods initially, and when the bolts got broken you got the full bore "required" elements to fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

It will be the same thing after 2-3 years buy a Tundra if you want to buy a truck that will last and not built cheap. Ford, GMC or Dodge all great trucks to lease for 2 years imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    WOW!!! Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Hard to believe the price they wanted....

I have also have 2012 F-150 that was leaking coolant at the T-connection. Can't believe Ford has these horrible hose connections. Major fail in the F-150's. I replaced mine for almost $150. Now it appears to be leaking coolant that the connection to the reservoir. The recall did cure the shifting /clunk when coming to a stop. I've been looking at the new GMC Sierra's and RAM 1500's.
    Barone Performance
    Canada's Online Aftermarket Parts Store

Spark plugs were original and owners manual suggests changing at 160kms.

Would that broken coil bolt issue not have happen if done earlier? Maybe....maybe not.

To clarify it’s the (8m) bolt that holds down each coil to the valve cover that broke.

was it a bolt that broke in a bling hole (drill and re tap) or studs that a nut broke off? it sucks but the repair guy didn't build it, he doesn't own it. why should be personable for a broken bolt? (assuming of course they took all reasonable precautions to avoid it)

as someone in a service industry I would say I never complete a repair a customer has requested without first diagnosing it myself. BUT im 100% up front with my customers about this. "you pay the diagnostic fee, I look determine whats required and fix accordingly" been burned in the past by a customer saying it was one thing, fixing that and then it being my fault some how that the problem was something else.

don't know for sure but is it possible that ford has realized problem with this part and have done an update, and that's why they quoted to replace more than just the O ring?

Fact of the matter, the are all junk, buy the one that suits you best n hope it's a good one. The Honda, Toyota, Nissan built better than anyone else ship has long since sailed.
    Coil pack screws seizing into zerts moulded to intake manifolds n valve covers, very common n good luck fixing it. On some, can get lucky n use a piece of heater hose of similar to trap it under the fuel rail or similar. Reg customers here, suggest sub 100k or 5-6 yrs max for first set of plugs, does cut down on the above plus plugs that won't come outta the heads. Copper never-seize or similar on coil bolts guarantees' they'll come out next time.

As for ridiculously expensive repairs, on way home from knee surgery, Kaths' HHR thermostat failed. No way I wanted to be outside next day changing it never so had her call to get a price, cheapest dealer was a hair under $400 plus tax. Hadn't looked yet but figured it must be in a bastard of a place but not spending that kind dough so called and ordered one ( $96 plus tax / thanks for the bend over GM). Next day, took Ross all of 20 minutes to change with me leaning up against the car. How in the hell does that translate into $400 plus tax? Lil wonder so many think dem dat work on vehicles are all crooked.

I can’t even imagine what my bill would have been if given the green light to “just go ahead and fix whatever needs to be done”......$2500?