Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 00 GT cooling fan help

Nghtrdr

Question 00 GT cooling fan help

Hi all
    So my cooling fan motors bearings are starting to fail (squeaking).
    Was wondering if anyone has replaced just the bearings? Any info would be appreciated.
    The fan assemblies are now obsolete from Ford which means after market or used. Also the 2000 was an odd year where Ford had 3 different fan assemblies available. Gotta love Ford!

Anyways my fan assembly is motorcraft #RF-86 (XR3Z8607AA)

Tia

We've seen virtually zero life from any of the aftermarket replacement offerings. Suggest used OEM. Check n dirty repair to try, remove fans, drill small hole in the back in line with the bearing, squirt oil n rotate by hand, repeat then dry off and seal with aluminum tape.

Nghtrdr
    Hey Rick, that's my concern. Won't last.
    The OEM motors should be able to be opened. Oil won't fix a failing bearing. I'm hoping bearing replacement is feasible

Been doing it to blower fan motors for years with high success rate n last a very long time, yes even on ones squealing to high hell or barely able to spin. Haven't looked closely at the Mustang fan motors but most I've seen are pressed / crimped together, specifically designed to be a throw away.

As for the aftermarket ones, on my own car, #1 didn't last a whole evening cruising, next one did not make the 404 cruising across Finch from home. Absolute crap!!! Popped for an OEM Ford, flawless.

Nghtrdr
    I may just have to give it a try. Especially if the motor is crimped together or get a used one and play with my original. Maybe pop it open then tack weld it back together. Bearings are cheap!

Thanks