Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Floor Heating...

In Floor Heating...

The High Commander is pulling rank and putting pressure on me to stop heating with wood. It appears that she is not as enthusiastic about exercise as i am. Her idea of staying in shape is trying to make me fat...lol but that's not working. Out in the boonies we don't have many options. Our choices are wood, oil, propane. I'm planning on redoing the floors and have been considering in-floor heating as opposed to a new furnace. We currently heat with a large outdoor wood furnace the pumps heated water back into the house. We also have fireplaces on each level. Oil is too expensive and I'm not to too keen on propane (also read recently that propane has become the most expensive form of home heating). I'm thinking in-floor heating combined with the wood indoor fireplaces (if needed) should be sufficient.

My question is: Does anyone here currently use infloor heating to heat their home? and is it good, bad, indifferent...?

Thanks
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

What type of infloor you referring to ?

Quote Originally Posted by Screw View Post
    What type of infloor you referring to ?
    Electric
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

I’m sure it would be good as a supplementary heat , how about a air-tight wood or pellet stove ?

Quote Originally Posted by Screw View Post
    I’m sure it would be good as a supplementary heat , how about a air-tight wood or pellet stove ?
    We have two air tight fire places - I may replace one or both with new stoves
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

if you already have the out door stove. would water infloor heat be an option?

my dad is currently in the middle of an addition and is adding heat tubing to the garage and basement and will be running it off a corn boiler.

when he built the drive shed years ago he had the shop side piped as well. never hooked it to a heat source but trenched the outdoor loop 6 feet down and it keeps the shop just above freezing in the winter, this will now also be hooked up to the corn boiler.

not sure id want electric in floor as a primary source but to supplement cold rooms would work. I constantly wish when we redid the upstairs bath that I did in floor heat just in that room.

I don’t have it but a friend does and he says it’s great, he also has a fag though and he says it really only works with that system, it’s only good for supplemental heating, not as a main heating system.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    if you already have the out door stove. would water infloor heat be an option?

my dad is currently in the middle of an addition and is adding heat tubing to the garage and basement and will be running it off a corn boiler.

when he built the drive shed years ago he had the shop side piped as well. never hooked it to a heat source but trenched the outdoor loop 6 feet down and it keeps the shop just above freezing in the winter, this will now also be hooked up to the corn boiler.

not sure id want electric in floor as a primary source but to supplement cold rooms would work. I constantly wish when we redid the upstairs bath that I did in floor heat just in that room.
    The outdoor wood furnace is around 15 years old now and needs to be replaced - I have to agree with my wife it is a bit of a pain in the arse - it currently leaks later from with in as well as the connection if the water cools.- also the the wife hates going out to fill it up - using wood is cheap but eats up a lot of my time - I may retrofit it to my garages to heat them. Also need to consider resale on the house. One thing that's nice is to have several heat source in light of a power failure. But yes I think hot water would be better
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Some interesting products in their lineup but not sure if it would be applicable to your set up https://napoleonheatingandcooling.co...ation-furnace/

Electric product is available from Watts Radiant that allows one to design for enough BTU per square foot to be the sole source of heat. It’s called Warmwire.
    http://media.wattswater.com/download/ES-WR-WarmWire.pdf