Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  5

View Poll Results: What approach should be taken?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sell as-is, don't risk putting more money into it. Sell it for lower or mid-range.

11 73.33%
  • Repaint and finish the project - it should be in the 20's once done.

1 6.67%
  • Fix the leak and do 3.73's to make it a great buy, leave the paint alone. Sell it for upper range.

3 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with the notch

stangstevers

What to do with the notch

My mind is made up and I will be parting with it. Now comes the questions... It's not a mint 5,000km original notch worth like 30 grand USD.

Looking at history (local) it's worth anywhere between 14 and 17.5 as it sits. I'd say it's at the top range because of the quality and/or rarity of the parts. It's not a jumbled together turd with chinese parts for example. It's a factory 5.0/T5 no-option notch. The interior, engine bay, underside is all mint or near mint. Issues is with the old-paint and a few bugs like an oil leak and the stupid 2.73 gearing which I never bothered to upgrade to 3.73 (which I have all the parts for).

Should I liquidate, as-is and see what happens. I will refuse to sell it below my cost. That's my limit and I'd rather donate it to a cause or set it on fire for youtube views than to sell it below my cost. Just the way I am. Or should I finish the project and see if I can reach the 20's?

I think once the gears are in, the oil leak and other small bugs are fixed, this will be a very good turn-key notch for someone. The paint isn't mint but it just means the person can enjoy it without guilt. My cost to fix those issues is under a grand anyway. But I'm so bored with working on cars. I think the middle zone is to sell it as-is with a trunk load of parts (oil pan, gaskets, oil, 3.73 gears, change kit and whatever fox specific things I have including the old school scanner). One could pretty much change the clutch without getting their hands dirty... LOL

I wouldn't bother with the gears, buyer can select whatever gear they want. Offer the gear set as an extra.
    Sell it as is.

Where is the oil leak?
    -Don____________

Mustang Occasionally
    Although Foxbodies have risen in value, I think sellers need to be realistic in what they think the car is actually going to sell for. People can post up their rides for sale at whatever price they want but I’d bet that what they get offered is a far cry from what they want.

stangstevers
    It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for. The hard part is to find someone who can math and is reasonable to negotiate with in good terms. Foxes are ridiculous these days, 10 grand doesn't get you much unless you spend a lot of time searching and visiting crap boxes all over the GTA.

stangstevers
    Placeholder for inventory... If anyone is curious.

Tools:
    Engine hoist "cherry picker"
    Engine stand
    90's ScanTool for EECIV
    Jack stands

Extra Parts:
    Gaskets + new oil pan
    New clutch (forgot the brand but it wasn't cheap)
    Oil filters and other consumables
    Door panels (not needed obviously but whatever)
    Misc fox parts like a big ol box of bolts
    3.73 gears + install kit
    Minty fox doors
    Roll of spare fabric Katskinz
    Mint smoke grey arm rest (that works)

Other Parts (from the Cobra project):
    Recaro seats (late 70's)
    Pretty complete 82 black hatch interior with seat belts
    Floor pan
    New set of subframe connectors
    Passenger side frame rail kit
    Passenger side 1/4 panel
    Nose, fogs, hood and other parts for conversion (most likely sold though)

Probably more stuff, I need to form some sort of garage sale this summer. lol

Not sure what year your fox is or what's been done to the rear end but Im pretty sure the factory gearing is 355...?
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

stangstevers
    Nope 2.73 OE gear. Crappiest of all gears. I think some autos got 3.08

Mine had factory 273's also.
    Sell as close to stock as possible for most return on the $.
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

My 79 is factory 302/with 345 my 90 was a 302 with factory 355 - I would think with the addition of the 5spd and taller tire 16" the rear gearing was bumped to 355 - four cylinder rear end may be 273 as it was a completely different transmission in 79 - 81 anyway but I think it was also 345 to make it feel as this it had power lol
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    My 79 is factory 302/with 345 my 90 was a 302 with factory 355 - I would think with the addition of the 5spd and taller tire 16" the rear gearing was bumped to 355 - four cylinder rear end may be 273 as it was a completely different transmission in 79 - 81 anyway but I think it was also 345 to make it feel as this it had power lol
    Its a tough market I think it mostly boils down mostly to luck - your car looks good I think I would just sell it the way it is. Nows a good time just need to find someone in the market.
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd