Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  24

Thread: Sometimes, Steering With Great Feel Is the Last Thing You Want

Sometimes, Steering With Great Feel Is the Last Thing You Want

As I learned by crashing a Shelby Mustang GT350 with excellent steering.

ACCORDING TO OCD.XLS, the Excel spreadsheet I use to keep record of every car I’ve driven, I logged 190,214 miles in 2015 different test cars before I finally managed to crash one. I immediately called Ford to take full responsibility for backing the pretty orange Shelby Mustang GT350 through a tire wall. I apologized, like any good man should. Then, like even the best men do, I started looking for someone else to blame.
    As I was sliding backward off the track, all I could think was that I couldn’t turn the wheel quickly enough to correct the slide. Which is funny, because I had just finished praising the GT350 for its heroically communicative electric power-assisted steering (EPAS). I was mildly relieved when I later learned that multiple colleagues have spun GT350s trying to hold drifts. So I added a few notes to OCD.xls, including “Never powerslide a Shelby, ever,” and “Have more sympathy for drivers wadding up Mustangs on their way out of Cars and Coffee events. Maybe it’s not entirely their fault.”
    That got me thinking. I’ve done literally thousands of drifts in BMWs, for example, and never lost control of a car like I lost that Shelby. I talked to BMW’s head of chassis tuning about this, and it turns out, he’s found that some cars don’t measure up to several of his company’s maneuverability tests.
    One test in particular simulates the worst-case scenario for a power-steering system: The car is parked on a concrete surface wearing its highest-friction tires (typically the widest-available summer performance tire) and loaded to its maximum-permissible front-axle weight. With the brakes applied, drivers of varying strength and stature must each be able to turn the wheel quickly—something like 600 degrees per second. In an M2, for instance, that means getting from lock to lock in just more than a second. This is important for parking but also a boon to safety when, say, making a three-point turn on a road with restricted visibility.
    Spin the steering wheel on any stationary Mustang, and you’ll find that the assist motor doesn’t have the grunt to scrub the tires against the pavement quickly. Or, one assumes, to counteract the tremendous forces acting on the front end of a sticky-tired Shelby when some yahoo is doing a full-opposite-lock powerslide on a closed track. (I have now successfully blamed someone else for my crash. I am a hero in my own mind.)
    Whether it’s a four-cylinder on skinny all-season tires or a monster Shelby, all Mustangs use the same steering rack—and its EPAS motor is visibly small. Ironically, this may be one of the reasons for the GT350’s brilliant steering feel. One of the primary drawbacks of EPAS is that the motor acts like a damper for road feel. Every time the front wheels change direction even the slightest amount, the motor has to spin up and then slow back down. The more powerful the motor, the bigger and heavier its rotating parts, and the more it dampens the forces coming back to your hands.
    This is one reason that BMW, with its powerful EPAS motors, has fallen from steering-feel grace more than any other carmaker in the transition from hydraulically to electrically assisted power steering. I’m practically homicidal over the numb steering in most modern BMWs, but even I have to wonder whether the loss in feel is worth the safety benefit. As I was skidding backward toward the wall in the Mustang, I might have said yes.
    But at any time during the previous 190,214 miles, I would’ve argued that Ford’s trade-off was worthwhile. If we never compromised on safety, we wouldn’t be driving at all—the computers would be doing most of the work, with layers of human oversight and mechanical redundancy. In fact, that very world exists. It’s called commercial flying, and it’s the safest way to travel. It’s also boring as hell.

Not boring: a Mustang mowing down a couple of signposts with a crowd of hooting onlookers. I’ll take my chances. I just wish someone had a camera on me when I crashed that Shelby. It would have made a great YouTube video.

Source from https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...paign=17370813

....GT350s trying to hold drifts.
    Lost me.
    -Don____________

12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

TL: DR

I thought Mustangs only go in straight lines? If you try to turn in one they hit people and things.

Yup, I just checked The You Tube to confirm...
    Last edited by Styrofoam04; 07-10-2019 at 04:02 PM.
    Joel,

Mustang Occasionally
    I take turns all the time. I haven't hit anything in a long time!

Turn off all the controls and steer with the rear - not sure what this guy was trying to do but s550's like to four wheel slide, similar to how the early muscle cars handled hard turns - and believe me that forty some odd year steering sucked - not sure they are really setup for drifting but could easily drift even with the Michelin's if set up for it. For the Autocross I've been inclined to swap the the smaller front tire to the rear and the wider rear tires to the front. The Shelby mustangs with the pp2 wheels protrude been wider than the pp1 with a much wider offset. Maybe the fat wider stance on the rear should be left for the strip and a narrower stance on the rear may help steer thru the curves. I've been thinking of getting a set of pp2 wheels to get a wider offset on the front - but its still in the thinking stages lol cause I'm broke the High Commander wants a furnace that doesn't require going out to fill it with wood. A flick of the switch. That's not too much to ask I guess after putting up with me for over twenty years...hahaha
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

The whole crowd control Mustang joke lost all its humour for me a very long time ago. Either way, interesting read Lawrence, thanks for sharing.
    FABMAN

Quote Originally Posted by FABMAN View Post
    The whole crowd control Mustang joke lost all its humour for me a very long time ago. Either way, interesting read Lawrence, thanks for sharing.
    Lol if they had cell phones back in the late sixties and early 70's there would be lots on big block Mopar fails - luckily it was pretty hard to get a super8 ready for filming in time as the action unfolded and instamatics with flash cubes just developed too slow to capture the action.
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works