Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  157
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Wheel torque.

+ from time to time, blinker fluid goes on sale.................... right next to the pots and pans.

So it's that time of the year, good idea to do a quickie read through so your not one of those sitting at the side of the road on 3 wheels.................... or worse.
    Not changing over the wheels n tires yourself, make double sure your installer does the job correctly and will be torquing the wheels.

Did my switch over on both vehicles last week. Was at the hobby garage and the guy beside me had an older escape on the lift. He said he had just bought it for $400 bucks and was checking it out... ie... suspension/brakes and so on. When he was putting the tires back on, all I could hear was the 'dugga dugga' of the impact. Sure enough, he snapped one of the studs clean off. I just shake my head. The shop has a full compliment of tools including torque sticks and torque wrench.
    Now this guy heads out on the public roads and is a menace to safety.

^ Many shops still do the same, no excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    ^ Many shops still do the same, no excuse.
    Have yet to see a shop (besides you) torque wheels. It’s a shame. Just swapped the wifeys wheels.. need to buy one.
    '88 LX

Always torque them... especially if doing someone else’s car. I show them that way my ass is covered. Tell them come back in 2 weeks for re-torque to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^No need for a recheck, but that’s your call on new aluminum wheels it’s a good idea, but still not really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
    Was changing the winters to summers on the Fusion Saturday. It has those decorative lug nuts with the thin metal covering, Well at least one of the coverings were rounded or not capable of having a socket properly fit. Had to get it off with an air chisel. Part of the reason was over torquing; last time I had the summer to winter changeover done by the dealer. I wound up buying new log nuts.

One time we were going to work on my sons brakes, I had to use a six foot section of pipe to break the lugs loose on a Cobalt! Would never have been able to change a tire on the road.

BTW how do you know what the recommended torque is. I assume different from Mustang to Fusion to F150
    So fast forward to yesterday. The Fusion went in for some brake and suspension work a few months ago. Of course, the wheels needed to be removed and replaced.

FUCK I'm sore. Every fucking lug nut needed a 4 foot breaker bar to loosen them!!! Then (not their fault, unless there is an anti seize available) three of the rims need a piece of wood and a sledge hammer (5lb) to get them to come off........oh did I mention my air compressor decided to give up the ghost after one change.

I'm getting too old for this shit.

Rant over

So fast forward to yesterday. The Fusion went in for some brake and suspension work a few months ago. Of course, the wheels needed to be removed and replaced.

FUCK I'm sore. Every fucking lug nut needed a 4 foot breaker bar to loosen them!!! Then (not their fault, unless there is an anti seize available) three of the rims need a piece of wood and a sledge hammer (5lb) to get them to come off........oh did I mention my air compressor decided to give up the ghost after one change.

Rant over
    I don’t use anti-seize, especially on lugs, but on everything I have the wheels off of (that sees winter use), I spray the hub with fluid film, any I’ve seen come back always come right off with minimal effort.

Rant over
    Both are 100% their fault. When off, both hubs and backside of the rims should be cleaned and smeared with never seize. We have a dedicated angle grinder with a knotted wire wheel for exactly that kinda stuff, if it won't reach, assortment of small wire wheels and sanding drums for the drill or by hand with a wire brush.