Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  157
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Wheel torque.

Been working in the trucking industry for over twenty years (starting to sound like a driver now, "don't tell me how to drive I've been doin this for twenty years....lol) but I've seen many ten hole 22" and 24" wheels come off - hub faces are important - wheels with pitted and less then smooth hub faces have far less clamping force at 500 ft. pounds - the wheels on this little dodge where interesting to me- although I didn't get to remove it only a small area of the wheels hub face around the stud hole was making contact with the hub or drum - when a wheel gets lose like this the damage is severe and it is hard to determine the cause. What was interesting to me was it was put on in February so it was quite some time before it came lose - usually if a wheel is installed incorrectly it will come off within a hundred miles of leaving the shop - in the trucking industry tire installers always put on the bill to "retorque" after 100k - it is sort of installer protection. Also important to ten hole wheels is the torques sequence and reaching the 500pound wheel torque for a ten hole hub pilot wheel on a truck. (a range is given for the torque spec. 500 is a good guide line) Also lubing the nuts as mention does increase the torque spec by a substantial margin - I'm not sure using a lower torques spec would be a good idea on a wet nut and stud - if the lube runs out over time from the threads and the stud and nut are now dry they may be now lose (just my thinking) - It's also interesting with old motorcycle's with ten hole chain sprockets - a lot of people will use lock tite to hold the sprocket to the hub because of bad experiences - I've always used the same torque sequence used on a ten hole 22" wheel and never had an issue (just a thought) my brain feels alive today....lol day dreamer ok back to work!
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

hub.jpg

hub1.jpg

I found some old pics from a few winters ago - this hub had two new tires installed in Chicago before it returned to the yard, on the side of the road in the middle of a massive snow storm that stretched from here to Chicago and was bitterly cold. Although it was about -20 that morning I was excited to see this, (I don't get out much....lol) the early stages of two lose wheels. The shinny marks on the wheel studs are caused from the wheels banging back and fourth on the stud and would eventually sheer the studs off. Two grooves can be seen on the hub pilots from the wheels that look machined and natural. I really don't envy truck drivers when the weather is like this and they drive through the night in it. Sometimes these storms are with them for the complete duration.
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Need to add to the wet / dry torque story.
    There is science behind everything in this world, but there is a seat - of - your - pants knowledge application too.
    I wet torque my wheels for 20+ years and had no problem. But...
    Had one tire replaced a few weeks ago on my wife's car. Tire replacer?? freaked out. He had to get a cleaner to wash inside wheel, bolts and nuts, blow off with air and again clean all with brake cleaner before dry torquing. Didn't matter to them the young kid scraped some paint of al wheel when installing that bothered me me more than wet/drt torque.
    Had to do it there way or drive home on three wheels.
    None of tires have fallen off so who is right?

Quote Originally Posted by redo75 View Post
    Need to add to the wet / dry torque story.
    There is science behind everything in this world, but there is a seat - of - your - pants knowledge application too.
    I wet torque my wheels for 20+ years and had no problem. But...
    Had one tire replaced a few weeks ago on my wife's car. Tire replacer?? freaked out. He had to get a cleaner to wash inside wheel, bolts and nuts, blow off with air and again clean all with brake cleaner before dry torquing. Didn't matter to them the young kid scraped some paint of al wheel when installing that bothered me me more than wet/drt torque.
    Had to do it there way or drive home on three wheels.
    None of tires have fallen off so who is right?
    wet torque is usually too tight especially if you use some sort of impact tool. Overtightened too much could damage the studs, nuts , even the wheel itself. - if you install nuts and wet torque by hand you probably don't risk damage to anything - I think people in the profession now, techs are trained to not wet torque there's a lot of liability involved in wheel changes if something should go wrong
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

I've been working for my dad since I was 10. The first job he taught me was how to properly install a wheel.
    I'm now 25, I've torqued a million sets of wheels, not once has one fallen off, or been hard to take off years down the road.
    It's a freaking wheel... don't over complicate something so simple.

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    Attachment 21133

Had a chat this am with the owner of this pickup...see anything wrong cause they didn't....lol asked when the wheel was put on and they replied February. I gave them a little advice (for free) and they drove away. hahaha so if you see a blue baby ram steer clear and check your wheel nuts once in a while....
    Several years ago I was riding my bike along Lakeshore around the Boulevard Club and some guy going east in a Chrysler mini van had a rear passenger side wheel that was so loose you could see it wobble bigtime as well as making one hell of a loud noise.
    I stopped the bike and watched to see if it was going to come off before going out of my view.It didn't.

I thought,how could that idiot not hear that loud banging inside the vehicle or feel the wobble.

Pic from the news today, pay special attention if your doing your summer wheel changeover.

I changed total 5 sets wheels a week ago. Got everyone to retorque their wheels after couple days except my own...yesterday leaving town i had to return home to retorque my own...they were loosen up and rub on brakes...same thing last year...hmmm

We spend whatever time it takes cleaning hubs / hub faces / back side of wheels themselves to make sure they go on as square as possible.
    Good chance thats why yours don't stay tight the first go round.

The wife saw this this morning and made me go check the torque on the SUV. I had new rubber put on them too. so it was a good idea
    Joel,