Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  157
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Wheel torque.

Round two....tonight...
    Went back up the the hobby garage to do an oil change on the wife's car. Guy on the hoist beside me is doing an oil change on his son's chevy truck. I can hear him struggling and after a while he tells me his son had put the oil filter on so tight, he can't get it off. Then, the steward tells me, he had be tighten the filter instead of loosening it. By this time, it's mangled and he's cut his hand. He ended up having to chisel it off. Lefty Loosey...Righty Tighty

I had to use a small breaker bar on the oil drain plug...The shop musta used an impact....lol

It's that time of the year again, good idea to start on page one and refresh your tire changing / wheel torquing skillz.
    As per the norm, far too many wheels flying off after spring / fall change overs, with proper care, none will come off.

Anyone here in Ford engineering able to comment on why Fords moved to 150lb plus on some of their wheel nuts?
    The instances of damaged nuts, damaged studs n nuts that won't come off is a growing problem especially since they added fuel to the fire by going away from chrome nuts to steel nuts with tin covers.

Did the thread pitch change?
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

Not positive but contact area on the nut taper is substantially larger.
    Had a 2019 Edge in a few weeks ago, all nuts screwed (heads all partially stripped / mutilated) by last place to have em off. Took north of an hour to get the messed up nutz off plus had to replace every one of em.

Replaced all wheel nuts on my truck for the same reason. I’m lucky I see 95% one peice style nuts at work
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

Bet they all sell a bunch of wheel nuts these days for exactly that reason.

I have the ford tin wrapped nuts on my '14 F150. So far so good because I don't use the impact on them. Only a breaker bar and torque wrench. Open end steel lugs for the winter.
    My son's old G6 had the tin wrapped nuts and I cursed those facking pieces of crap!

Heard about that story. What a shit show that was. I don’t know what is going on with Ford with these tin wrapped nuts and high torque values but not a fan of those nuts at all. F’in garbage!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Not positive but contact area on the nut taper is substantially larger.
    Had a 2019 Edge in a few weeks ago, all nuts screwed (heads all partially stripped / mutilated) by last place to have em off. Took north of an hour to get the messed up nutz off plus had to replace every one of em.

Whoever the fuck worked on my GFs accord before we purchased it, fack you.

Every. Single. Wheel stud. Is fucked.

EVERY SINGLE ONE.
    '88 LX