Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  157
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel torque.

This is the kind of thing that happens when surfaces are not properly cleaned and or wheel not torqued. Once on properly, chances of a wheel coming off under normal conditions is zero.

A driver is in serious condition after a wheel flew off a SUV and struck a vehicle on a busy Ontario highway.
    Ontario Provincial Police say the front left wheel came off a SUV travelling south on Highway 400 Saturday morning near the town of Innisfil, Ont., which is located about 88 km north of Toronto.

PHOTOS

One person was airlifted to hospital after a wheel struck a vehicle on a busy Ontario highway on Saturday, May 18, 2019. (OPP_HSD/ Twitter)

According to police, the wheel went flying into the northbound lanes of the highway and struck a car. The driver, a man in his 20s, suffered serious injuries and was airlifted to Sunnybrook Hospital.

stangstevers
    I usually follow factory spec for torquing lug nuts. Clean the hubs and lugs... Some anti-seize lube around the hub (not a lot)... boom never had an issue.

Don't get me started with "mechanics" who overtighten oil pan drain plugs.

While I'm sure at least some mechanics have been guilty, bulk of the ones we see come out of hurry lubes done by peeps with little to no real training. Flip side to that, only a handful of consumers want to pay what it would cost for a competent / paid what he or she's worth person to do the job nor do they want to wait more than a few minutes for it to be done. What really kills me, person that shops for the bargain basement priced oil n filter change, same one that gets smoked for a new cabin filter, air filter and a host of other services they don't need (any very possible pay for but don't receive) but hey the oil change itself was cheap.

That’s why I do lots of care for my car wheels because they perform the most robust job all day. Only a few days ago, after losing the lug nuts and removing the wheel from the tyre, I washed it. Then, I applied wax/grease remover to clean it from grease. However, keep in mind, it should be a nonpolar solvent. Now, it turns to apply paint, but I am confused between these best spray paints ( https://carlifeguru.com/best-spray-paint-for-wheels ) and willing to go with PlastiKote 620. But, I am not sure either it will give required protection against rust and other issues.

Can you guys suggest an excellent paint spray at a reasonable price?

Quote Originally Posted by CleopatraWampler View Post
    That’s why I do lots of care for my car wheels because they perform the most robust job all day. Only a few days ago, after losing the lug nuts and removing the wheel from the tyre, I washed it. Then, I applied wax/grease remover to clean it from grease. However, keep in mind, it should be a nonpolar solvent. Now, it turns to apply paint, but I am confused between these best spray paints ( https://carlifeguru.com/best-spray-paint-for-wheels ) and willing to go with PlastiKote 620. But, I am not sure either it will give required protection against rust and other issues.

Can you guys suggest an excellent paint spray at a reasonable price?
    Buy gas at Canadian Tire gas bar and save up the Canadian Tire money then go to Canadian Tire Store and buy Canadian Tire Brand spray paint....thats what i do
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

^^^but he's in Florida!
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

Yes, you are right. Better to tell me any online but international store. I didn't find any outlet of Canadian Tire Store here.

Doh!
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

No Canadian Tire in Florida, the nerve!!!
    Worth mentioning again though, peeps need to take wheel torque way more seriously. Since original post, seen at least a half dozen rides missing a wheel on the side of 400 / 401 or 404.

Quote Originally Posted by CleopatraWampler View Post
    Yes, you are right. Better to tell me any online but international store. I didn't find any outlet of Canadian Tire Store here.
    That's too bad its a great store - they have stickers - muffler cement - fishing rods - and frying pans - cashiers with black yoga pants....
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd