Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  155
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Garage floor re-do-Epoxy

Quote Originally Posted by Scrape View Post
    Who did you go with for the work mav?
    Company called Epoxyit. Impressed so far with just communication and doing what he says he is going to do. Epoxyit.ca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doing diamond cutting and prep work.

Looks great!
    Quote Originally Posted by mavrrrick View Post
    Company called Epoxyit. Impressed so far with just communication and doing what he says he is going to do. Epoxyit.ca

Watching to see how this turns out. I may have to do mine soon
    Last edited by Black Sheep; 05-14-2019 at 07:49 AM.
    Just waiting for this crap to be over so we can travel again

Diamond cutting done, filling cracks and imperfections filled in. Epoxy coating applied tomorrow.

The Rustoleum Epoxy-Shield ( sold at Canadaian Tire ) works great. I did my floor 13 years ago originally and gave it a refresher coat about 6 years ago. You can't have any oil spots on the floor and prep is the key. The kit provides the TSP cleaning solution to etch the floor. You have to wait about a week for the floor to completely dry up before coating. Mine has been extremely durable and stands up to jack stands and steel wheels on my floor jack. The carbide studs on my snowmobile are the culprit for most of my damage.

Carmen

Yes i use jacks and stands but not as often as most of you guys. They diamond cut it to open the pores of the concrete so the epoxy holds better. As I said earlier, prep is MOST important.

cant wait!! I am getting mine done in the next few weeks

I had my garage done last year. I love the look, and I love how it keeps dust down.

I have a double car garage, in the summer, the stang lives on one side and bikes and lawn stuff on the other.
    In the winter, I move things around so the wife can get her car in.

Before, if I left the car cover off for a couple of days, there would be a thin layer of dust on it. Now I can keep the car uncovered if I want.
    Be careful with a floor jack and the steel wheels. I looked at one with softer tires but couldn't spend the extra money.

After living with the floor for the first winter, I'm not sure if I would do epoxy again.
    If you're bringing a daily in and out, the salt is hard on the finish.
    Another pain, when snow would melt off the wife's car, it now had nowhere to go as my garage doesn't have a floor drain. I used a squeegee.
    They put extra grit in certain spots to help with grip, but the floor was still slippery with snow on it, especially the 8 inches or so on the outside.

IMG_2677.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    I was leaning towards the plastic interlocking tiles before I put that project on hold. I’ll be moving so the next building will get some form of floor treatment. I could see epoxy for the wood shop, and plastic for the mechanical shop, but I’m spitballing without looking at budget. I assume epoxy is a better choice with radiant floors. Time to get back to Garage Journal.
    Porcelain tiles would also be a great choice, if you can do the install yourself it's a great bang for your buck option.