This thread got me thinking and started to wonder how many people on the forum have a dash cam. If so, what kind?

I was first turned on to these devices a couple of years ago when I went out with a friend that had one. In that moment, I couldn't think of anything more douche worthy but as time passed I reconsidered and eventually bought one.

I drive about 50k km per year and the thought of having video proof in the event I needed it really clinched it for me. With the amount of driving I do in a year, compounded that I also ride a bike, I am really aware that it is usually the other guy you have to watch out for. Things happen in a flash and what you think may have happened may not be how it really was. The video solves that.

I bought my first unit, a Garmin 35, which lasted about 3 months and quit. Took it back for a full refund - I love Costco! I replaced it with a DOD LS370W from Radio World and within 60 days of having the DOD, I was hit by a young girl who really wanted my lane. When I called my insurance company to make the claim, I was told that from the description of the event I would be 50% at fault. I would have to pay my deductible, lose my accident forgiveness and likely have a premium increase. I told them I had video and that totally changed the dialog. I sent the video and within a couple of hours I received a call advising the other party was be deemed 100% at fault. The DOD unit cost me $250 but it paid back more than two fold that day. Overall, the picture quality of the DOD was great but it was awful to use. Every time I needed to check footage or change a setting I had to pull out the user manual. Just not user friendly.

I don't know for certain if having a dash cam saved my ass after being pulled over one day. Once the dash cam came up the tone changed from abrupt to cordial. I swear it changed the result from a fine to a warning.

My DOD unit shit the bed last week. Internal battery fried about 6 months ago and it just stopped recording last Wednesday. I knew it was failing and the unsettled feeling it left me with was nothing short of stupid silly. I mean, I've driven greater than 30 years without one and now it seems ridiculous not to have it - like driving without a seat belt. It's totally unreasonable. Anyway, I bought a Thinkware X350 for my wife for Christmas and really liked the intuitive software. Great picture quality with built in wifi and a pretty decent mobile phone app that controls the device and allows you to manage video content. For $99 it is well worth the money. I bought myself one last week to replace the broken DOD. Thinkware also comes with great clips for wire management that helps make the install clean.

At the same time I also bought an entry level Papago GoSafe 230 for the Mustang. It's decent, fewer options than the Thinkware but also has intuitive software. I didn't realize my '01 Mustang only has cigarette lighters that are always powered. Makes the dash cam install a bit of a pain in the ass. I found an unused 'ignition on' power source under the centre console and added another cigarette lighter input under the dash to keep the install clean as well. Broke my fookin' e-brake removing the centre console! Now I have to figure out what needs to be replaced and how to replace it.

Of the 4 devices I have owned, the DOD was the least user friendly. I didn't need the owners manual for the Garmin, Thinkware or Papago. The Garmin only came with a 5' cable so wire management is crap because you can't hide the wiring. All the other devices came with extremely long power cables.