Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone try the old school trick - reduce steering assist on a fox?

Aftermarket power steering has been out there for awhile now, no experience with it myself.

stangstevers
    Looks like people have been using an older Toyota MR2 pump, but they seem $$$ more than it's worth at this point. I'm looking at a 2010+ Mazda 3 pump and remote reservoir... Probably won't pan out as my ADD will kick in to something else before I even start. I do want to try cutting the spring on the factory pump to reduce the assistance a little and that may just do the trick. But I like the idea of electric-hydro steering just for the sake of doing something stupid like the good ol days.

stangstevers
    ahhh here we go... simple solution https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...-101/overview/

Quote Originally Posted by stangstevers View Post
    Stock replacement for the 5.0... isn't it 14.7 turns or something?

I do have a real stupid idea that just may work....

I wonder if I can retro fit a Volvo (or whatever) electric-hydrolic steering pump and remove the Factory stuff. That way I can run a potentiometer of sorts in the circuit to control the pressure. That would be a pretty cool mod that no one is really doing.

A quick look at Rockauto shows 2 different racks available:
    Cardone 97207 (22207) is the standard 2.4 turns lock-to-lock unit
    Cardone 22203A is 3 turns lock to lock - this may slow things down enough for you?