Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: loud or no loud?

stangstevers

loud or no loud?

One of my cats blew up on route to a car show, I thought I busted a rod or something - the noise is ugly lol

Anyway since my BBK catted H-pipe has only maybe 1000km on it (MAX) I will try and deal with them to get it fixed. But while I have the car on the hoist... I feel like I should make it a tad louder than the (whatever?) Flowmasters I have now. I don't know what model, they aren't very noisy my Cobra roller rockers are louder than my exhaust. Thinking about the BBK varitone or the Black Widow mufflers?

Worst case, I will finally find a way to add some electric cutouts and get best of both worlds? Just not a whole lot of space under these cars.

Pretty happy with my Flowmaster 10’s. Not so loud at idle/low rpm but insanely loud at anything above 3.5k

You blew out a cat already? That’s shitty.. mine are about 5 years old and are ok (minus a rust hole at the hanger that zr welded up)
    '88 LX

I’m thinking of going the other way with Ol Paint, as I think it’s a little too loud. However, when I tell people this they say “no, don’t do it. It sounds great!” I have a set of GT500 mufflers sitting in my basement just waiting for me to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen06GT View Post
    I’m thinking of going the other way with Ol Paint, as I think it’s a little too loud. However, when I tell people this they say “no, don’t do it. It sounds great!” I have a set of GT500 mufflers sitting in my basement just waiting for me to decide.
    Ive got a set of Borla tourings that have a great time but are quieter then most of your interested.
    I went with the 2010+ gt500 mufflers and they flow much better then the earlier units.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

stangstevers
    Damn... I have to spend another 500 bucks on a new mid-pipe? I'd go X-pipe this time around... I could perhaps buy two new cats and weld them in but it will always look "jobber" to me. I'd hate to give more money to BBK for a defective product. Unless my car runs too rich and it killed the cats quickly? I checked my smog pump and it's running perfectly, no codes on my A9L either.

On that note, I hear the rattle (had the car on the hoist and listened to everything with old "ear on a screwdriver" trick). Definitely coming from the cats. When I took the H-pipe off, I didn't see anything out of norm looking through it but couldn't shake it by hand because I couldn't find an easy way to shut up the flanges...

So here's my dumbfuck thought process...

I have longtubes, catted H-pipe (broken), Flowmaster mufflers and tails. Fixing the issue is roughly 500 bucks, I also want louder exhaust, another possible 400 bucks... so up to 900 all said and done. My idiot-math is telling me to spend a little more and get an On3 turbo setup LMAO... albeit even getting the car fixed will cause near divorce level fights again... I always wanted a turbo fox though, nothing crazy I'd be happy with 300rwhp and minimal boost - still want it to be somewhat reliable.

Turbo will silence your exhaust to BMW levels lol sorry scrape hahaha
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

YOU CAN DOOOO IT!!!

Ehh you don’t need a on3 turbo for 300rwhp
    '88 LX

stangstevers
    True... just good hci combo.

I have the X Pipe from BBK for longtubes and my cats did the same thing.
    Welding in hi-flow aftermarket cats resulted in a noticeable difference in volume - maybe double.

Could try that first?