Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canada’s carbon price needs to climb higher in order to hit Paris target, report says

stangstevers
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    Not sure what the margins at for food. But would expect it to be higher than 1-2% ther wise the atm reader fees would take all the profit alone. But don’t know so can’t speak to that. Was more a conversation of total cost spent by a consumer vs profit had by the store
    Net profit is 1-3% for groceries, its volume. They sell more individual products than an appliance store would in many lifetimes

Just as the recent embarrassment of our ""Recyclables"" ending up as garbage in Manila, and Malaysia, they are being returned to be incinerated. Why aren't we using this for waste to energy conversion? Kind of the dirty little secret the feds, and Provincial governments don't want to acknowledge. The waste to energy plant run in Courtice never seems to have aplume of smoke, meaning to me it is running efficiently.
    As for Nuclear, my neighbour works for SNC (formerly AECL) doing the refit of Darlington, and after conversations with her
    Canadian reactors are no Chernobyl. Yes we do everything probably the most expensive(but safest)way.
    China and India are relying on 1st world guilt to allow them to get a pass on carbon emissions.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    Not sure what the margins at for food. But would expect it to be higher than 1-2% ther wise the atm reader fees would take all the profit alone. But don’t know so can’t speak to that. Was more a conversation of total cost spent by a consumer vs profit had by the store
    In terms of supporting local business I would think what the local business keeps is most relevant if you're trying to compare apples to apples as upstream supply chains would be very different and not directly comparable, and yes, net margin for grocery is between 1-2 or 3%. Is appliance between 5-8%?

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    do you know the difference between documentary and drama?
    Are you referring to the recent show (drama)? I meant when it actually happened (my elder Polish neighbour's hometown was affected and they weren't even close). Fukushima was another but not sure if that was a Canada style reactor.

Club Supporter
    Yes, older model but Fukushima was a newer reactor I believe.

Some info here on incineration, we deal with a Danish company and this comes up in after hour drinks.

https://dakofa.com/element/incineration-in-denmark/
    What is worse, burning it or letting it clog the oceans or landfills? There are always emissions, just deciding which is worse?
    The recent stumble by our PM on his public personna of having the perfect crafted answer on his consumption on everything from water to toilet paper(okay I added toilet paper) brings out the cynic in me.
    https://www.thepostmillennial.com/vi...se-of-plastic/

I am going back to "What are you drinking", less stressful...

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    According to the email I got from the Conservative party of Canada this afternoon yes They would scrap it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    lol....and politicians always keep promises...lol

stangstevers
    I agree they're all crooks who couldn't make it in the real-world which to me makes it even worse... left or right, I hate them all!

With that said... some are worse than others and trudeau is a LOT worse than Scheer.

Quote Originally Posted by 83 5.0 View Post
    I am going back to "What are you drinking", less stressful...
    Where beverages come in recyclable aluminum cans.

With all the controversy, why haven't bottled water companies switched to aluminum cans? Is there a reason they can't can water? (insert Coors Light joke here).
    They do it during emergencies.
    -Don____________

stangstevers
    LOL That reminds me, I need to rent a cube van to do my returns...

It costs more to run with cans not just material but they'd probably have to change their entire production line. But I wonder if an environmentalist would pay the extra 20 cents or so to buy water from a can and have a deposit structure. Technically an environmentalist should have a reusable bottle they fill at home anyway.