Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 03 4.6 bore out to 5.0 ?

03 4.6 bore out to 5.0 ?

Essentially I want to know if anyone has done this. A friend of mine suggested I bore my 4.6 out to a 5.0 and get forged internals. I currently have a stock 2003 GT with bolt V2 supercharger with intercooler and 3.73 gears.

Whats your end game for power / use?

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Whats your end game for power / use?
    More pleasure then anything, currently the cars pumping about 430 to the wheeles but I’d like to hit the 600 range. The cars a Sunday funday for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m not slow, I just like the way your bumper looks

Do you want 600hp to hit a time target of some kind or just as a personal benchmark?

To go fully forged internals and do all the machining for a big bore conversion to gain that extra displacement you're talking about several thousand dollars. Plus just doing the big bore alone won't net you 600, you'll have to swap pulleys to a much smaller diameter than current to up the boost, retune, etc. Plus at that point may as well just take that stock T45/3650 and toss it in the dumpster.

There are several sponsor shops in GTA that can build you a motor to handle this boost level and power. But you're probably going to spend 2x what you did to do the basic supercharged kit to get there. Go down the rabbit hole if you want but my advice is a mid 400hp 2V is about as much street fun as a 2v gets. Above that the power to dollar spent ration just doesn't add up and you've spent Cobra/Shelby money to get there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

stangstevers
    Coyote swap may be cheaper...

Quote Originally Posted by stangstevers View Post
    Coyote swap may be cheaper...
    Would be a wash to loss power wise, trading low 400 for low 400 hp. Unfortunately the 400 range is about the limit to make in a 2v without spending $ALL.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

stangstevers
    That's what I mean... depends on long term goals... hard to beat a twin turbo coyote lol

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    Do you want 600hp to hit a time target of some kind or just as a personal benchmark?

To go fully forged internals and do all the machining for a big bore conversion to gain that extra displacement you're talking about several thousand dollars. Plus just doing the big bore alone won't net you 600, you'll have to swap pulleys to a much smaller diameter than current to up the boost, retune, etc. Plus at that point may as well just take that stock T45/3650 and toss it in the dumpster.

There are several sponsor shops in GTA that can build you a motor to handle this boost level and power. But you're probably going to spend 2x what you did to do the basic supercharged kit to get there. Go down the rabbit hole if you want but my advice is a mid 400hp 2V is about as much street fun as a 2v gets. Above that the power to dollar spent ration just doesn't add up and you've spent Cobra/Shelby money to get there.

Your probably right, my car runs mint with low kms. I love my body style I don’t want to switch it up. Maybe down the line I’ll do a complete swap

Terminator swap would be a much better choice, easy swap and a very capable engine, not to mention looks way cooler than a 2V. And fwiw, I don’t think you can bore a 4.6 to a 5.0 safely, you’d need to get an aftermarket clock with thicker cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    Terminator swap would be a much better choice, easy swap and a very capable engine, not to mention looks way cooler than a 2V. And fwiw, I don’t think you can bore a 4.6 to a 5.0 safely, you’d need to get an aftermarket clock with thicker cylinders.
    The whole engine would need a rebuild with forged internals