Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  16
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 03 4.6 bore out to 5.0 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    Yes I’m aware of that. But my point is when you bore out and engine, you’re taking material from the cylinder walls, making them thinner, in order to make the cylinder bigger-the problem is, factory blocks don’t have enough material to spare to safely go from a 4.6 to a 5.0, the walls will be too thin after machining-especially for a boosted/nitrous engine.
    Basically, if you want a 5.0, you’ll need an aftermarket block since they have thicker walls to stand up to more abuse and overboring.
    To be honest it sounds like you don’t really know what you want or why, but you’re listening to someone else who isn’t the one spending the cash, so it’s very easy for him to say do this or that. Basically if he knows about 4.6 engines he would have told you you’ll need an aftermarket block to safely get a to a 5.0, and really, even when you get to a 5.0, nobody will know for sure that you have a 5.0 except the machinist and engine builder. If you just want forged internals to add boost you’d be better off leaving it a 4.6, and buying forged parts, or you could do as I suggested and buy a terminator 4.6 dohc engine, which is forged from the factory. At least if you get a termi engine it will look way better than your current one when you pop the hood.
    You make it sound so easy to source a terminator engine lol

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-...oss-block.html

I remember entertaining the thought. I'm not sure if this is a thicker block that was bored to 5.0L

^Yes, it’s a Boss block, much stronger.
    But just so you guys all know, all things being equal a 5.0 compared to a 4.6 won’t net you any noticeable HP gains. Boss blocks are used because of their strength, to be used with high boost mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    You make it sound so easy to source a terminator engine lol

It’s not that hard, best off to buy a complete salvage car and use what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    ^Yes, it’s a Boss block, much stronger.
    But just so you guys all know, all things being equal a 5.0 compared to a 4.6 won’t net you any noticeable HP gains. Boss blocks are used because of their strength, to be used with high boost mostly.

It’s not that hard, best off to buy a complete salvage car and use what you need.
    That is a good point. I still feel like it's hard to find a decent well priced deal out of a salvaged cobra

Yea, could always put out a want ad on Kijiji, never know man, I had one slip through my hands last year. The deal was too good to be true, my buddy told me about it and I kept asking him to call her, he said it was ours for sure, lady said a price and he agreed, he knew her son or brother or some crap, we just had to wait a few weeks, in the meantime she called a salvage yard and they gave her more.

That sucks big time . She coulda notified what the salvage yard wanted. Oh well !

If you are looking to swap in a 03/04 Cobra or Coyote engine you can check the Parts Farm Facebook page but it is U.S money.
    Member of the IDGAF+FU2 Community