Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 year old tires - unsafe?

15 year old tires - unsafe?

Question

Assuming a garage queen car, are 15 year old tires unsafe on dry roads?

My new to me 66 has some old rubber that needs replacing. No cracking etc just old.

How urgent is the replacement needed.

A tire purchase now will push me into a rim purchase too since buying a set of 14" tires and tossing them next spring when 15" rims are added seems silly.

Personally I wouldn't feel safe on them, but if you're talking about a week end cruiser that doesn't see any highway speed or spirited cornering odds are you will likely be ok until end of season.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Look for side wall checking and checking between the treads - sometimes very soapy water on the sidewalls will reveal air permeating thru the sidewalls - I've seen this a lot with old tires - also consider the valve stem as it is rubber too and may breakdown under stress - I've driven on 15 year old tires many times but always keep an eye on them - and yes they sucked in the rain
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Should be good for this season until you make the move next year to 15". I had tires on 67' Fastback that were new in 1988 and only replaced them 2 years ago but i will add that the car is a garage queen seeing 12,000 kms since its restoration and facelifts. If the car you purchased has sat outside for a good deal of its life and the tires were exposed to UV rays and the elements i would be more concerned.
    Member of the IDGAF+FU2 Community

Should be fine for the remainder of the season, but as stated if it was mine I would avoid highway driving.

Club Supporter
    I'd be afraid of them acting like hockey pucks if you had to stop quickly even on dry roads. If you could trust all other driver's on the road, maybe but.......

55 HD
    I say replace the tires now before you have to replace the car. Risky is what comes to my mind.

Just put the Roush wheels on from the other Mustang. I’m sure they will fit as both cars are Mustangs.

First thing that came to mind reading the thread title was that crash on the 407 a few years back, a 1948 Chevrolet, killing the 3 occupants.

Tire blow-out is bad enough in a modern car with modern suspension, brakes, and stability control. But in a vintage car?
    Get new tires.
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    First thing that came to mind reading the thread title was that crash on the 407 a few years back, a 1948 Chevrolet, killing the 3 occupants.

Tire blow-out is bad enough in a modern car with modern suspension, brakes, and stability control. But in a vintage car?
    Get new tires.
    I remembered that very sad - avid hot rodder too
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works