Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  3

Thread: CAT question (not the meow meow kind)...

CAT question (not the meow meow kind)...

Greetings TMC,

I fired up Ol Paint last night and I think the cats have seen a better day. To me the car is very very loud, with quite a rattle until it warms up, and the exhaust fumes are getting stronger. With that said, is there a catalytic converter that is better suited to supercharged engines? Are the cats on a Cobra or GT500 any different than those on an NA Mustang? If you had to or have already replaced the cats, which brand did you go with and why?

Thanks

I wish I cold remember the name of the cats that were put on the Black Mach, they were amazing, made even pass emissions even with the cams...they were quite expensive though, about $450 per cat

But yes, they do wear out, especially if used on the track with the constant heating and cooling (heating more than just regular driving obviously) you can get under and give a tap and see if you hear anything clanking around in there but yes exhaust fumes are a good indication they are pooched or getting there

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    What has GR been talking about non-stop for the last 2 months? Changes the conversation to it no matter what subject you are trying to talk about, LOL.

Contrary to what you read all over the net, seeing good life out of Magnaflow cats on my own car. Could be because I drive it so gently though.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Contrary to what you read all over the net, seeing good life out of Magnaflow cats on my own car. Could be because I drive it so gently though.
    More like they are lasting cause the car doesn't get driven LOL JK

I've had good and bad experience with magnaflow....had a set that lasted forever and another that lasted only a couple months...so I'm not going to say they are good or bad either way since I've experienced one extreme to the next with them...

They are definitely a more affordable option to try Stephen

Anyone have any knowledge about ceramic vs. metal substrate cats?

Gesi cats are likely the ones mentioned, they are pricey and have seen them on customer cars but have no personal experience with them

I have 5 year old metallic spun cats on my car and they are dying also.

Pretty sure Joe has switched over to Vibrant cats after problems with several other offerings.

On the s197 forum people used to say that stock cats were better then any aftermarket.
    The other brand I have heard work well with boost is kooks green cats.
    I can't remember your exhaust setup but I still have my stock mid pipe taken off at around 40k I think

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have 5 years on my BBK cats, 3 of those years boosted. I think they are still ok.

I am using pypes metallic spun cats and have had no problems at all. I am also boosted and made more hp with them on vs no cats.