Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  53
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help from Gamers

I was obsessed with counter strike in my mid to late teens. And I'm still a gamer today albeit much more relaxed. My new obsession is the mustang.

He still needs to know his limits and should not let the game impact his school or social life.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1quikgt View Post
    And yes, being ranked 3000th in a game with millions of players is good. Probably not tournament money making good though.

I’m 34 and have been playing video games since Sega Genesis came out almost 30 years ago. In fact I’m waiting for The Division 2 to start up on my ps4 right now lol.
    I'm patiently waiting for Doom Eternal.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    I was obsessed with counter strike in my mid to late teens. And I'm still a gamer today albeit much more relaxed. My new obsession is the mustang.

He still needs to know his limits and should not let the game impact his school or social life.

That's a good point - I recall a few years back buying him a dirt bike and he actually sold all his gamer stuff including computer - after the bike died he didn't want to fix it - maybe I should revisit that -
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    If Matt was still here he would try and draft you into the i-Racing league. And then correct me: "it's not a game! it's a simulator!"
    I still lurk a bit. I have a wheel & pedals to get you started if you want ...

There are a lot of good points here, but I may add a few.

I guess first off, is he 'just' playing all the time or is he actually wanting to take it serious and make a career out of it? If the former, there is no gain and he is wasting his time. Sure it may be fun and all, but at 18 he should probably be thinking of college/university and/or full employment by now. If the latter, while it is a serious longshot (1 in a million maybe) there could be some potential to make something of it.

I know a lot of creators, who are really good players, who get regular audiences of 2-5 people per stream/video. The few I know that are successful - one could probably be a stand up comic with legit on screen carisma, one is a world champion now racing in the WEC, and another posts up daily content spanning usually 5-10 different games plus now a real life home improvement show. It takes more than just being good while playing in your parents basement. All these guys have enormous personality, they put on a show while playing.

Successful creators also spend surprising little time actually playing the games. A 20 minute youtube video upload may involve 2 hours of planning/scripting, 2 hours of gameplay, and 4-6 hours of editing, production, still photography, processing, uploading. So a simple daily upload eats up a full day of "work". But to maintain a daily schedule (extremely important to early success), they may be planning weeks in advance, putting in the time and effort and money to keep the content pipeline full. 10+ hour days, 7 days a week, non-stop. So to make a serious go at something he is currently playing 'all the time', he's going to need to stop playing in order to get the content out to bring in the money. It becomes more than a full time job. And burnout is real. So many hugely successful creators have left the industry due to fatigue and often serious mental health reasons.

And this is assuming he has an audience who are waiting anxiously for every new upload to maintain views. He'd likely need to quickly build a following of maybe a few thousand subscribers/followers and get 1000+ views on every piece of content to make some money. Then as it grows he could start a patreon and hope for monthly donations. But the audience will need to be getting more than just good gameplay - thats a dime a dozen, or more accurately fractions of a penny for millions. Twitch and Youtube are overwhelmed in content. His would need to stand out from the masses. Millions upload daily with no views, what would make his rise to the top?

And this assumes Fortnite is still trending hot longterm. But I wouldn't count on that for a career. Very few games have the staying power that allows guys to keep pushing out content year over year. If he can diversify and create content for 5-10 games regularly that could help negate the chances that one stops trending. But even one a day across 7 games is only a weekly upload - and that likely won't fly unless he already has the audiences built up.

It sounds like he has his gaming stuff in place, but what about the other 'studio' things? Face cam, lighting, microphones, a second computer dedicated to processing and uploading etc etc.

One last thing to keep in mind - like Minecraft, and a lot of other big games, Fortnite was designed specifically to trigger key conditions of addiction. Resource gathering, survival, time pressure, achievements, looting, competition, fast movements, bright colours. It checks a lot of boxes on a psychological level to addict. So you'll likely want to get to the bottom of this with him. Is he addicted, or just passionate?
    BECAUSE RACECAR

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    If Matt was still here he would try and draft you into the i-Racing league. And then correct me: "it's not a game! it's a simulator!"
    I think I seen those at a big arcade the kids always went to at square one - I have to say I was tempted to drop a wad when I seen them...lol
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Quote Originally Posted by Not4you View Post

I guess first off, is he 'just' playing all the time or is he actually wanting to take it serious and make a career out of it? If the former, there is no gain and he is wasting his time. Sure it may be fun and all, but at 18 he should probably be thinking of college/university and/or full employment by now. If the latter, while it is a serious longshot (1 in a million maybe) there could be some potential to make something of it.

I know a lot of creators, who are really good players, who get regular audiences of 2-5 people per stream/video. The few I know that are successful - one could probably be a stand up comic with legit on screen carisma, one is a world champion now racing in the WEC, and another posts up daily content spanning usually 5-10 different games plus now a real life home improvement show. It takes more than just being good while playing in your parents basement. All these guys have enormous personality, they put on a show while playing.

Successful creators also spend surprising little time actually playing the games. A 20 minute youtube video upload may involve 2 hours of planning/scripting, 2 hours of gameplay, and 4-6 hours of editing, production, still photography, processing, uploading. So a simple daily upload eats up a full day of "work". But to maintain a daily schedule (extremely important to early success), they may be planning weeks in advance, putting in the time and effort and money to keep the content pipeline full. 10+ hour days, 7 days a week, non-stop. So to make a serious go at something he is currently playing 'all the time', he's going to need to stop playing in order to get the content out to bring in the money. It becomes more than a full time job. And burnout is real. So many hugely successful creators have left the industry due to fatigue and often serious mental health reasons.

And this is assuming he has an audience who are waiting anxiously for every new upload to maintain views. He'd likely need to quickly build a following of maybe a few thousand subscribers/followers and get 1000+ views on every piece of content to make some money. Then as it grows he could start a patreon and hope for monthly donations. But the audience will need to be getting more than just good gameplay - thats a dime a dozen, or more accurately fractions of a penny for millions. Twitch and Youtube are overwhelmed in content. His would need to stand out from the masses. Millions upload daily with no views, what would make his rise to the top?

And this assumes Fortnite is still trending hot longterm. But I wouldn't count on that for a career. Very few games have the staying power that allows guys to keep pushing out content year over year. If he can diversify and create content for 5-10 games regularly that could help negate the chances that one stops trending. But even one a day across 7 games is only a weekly upload - and that likely won't fly unless he already has the audiences built up.

It sounds like he has his gaming stuff in place, but what about the other 'studio' things? Face cam, lighting, microphones, a second computer dedicated to processing and uploading etc etc.

One last thing to keep in mind - like Minecraft, and a lot of other big games, Fortnite was designed specifically to trigger key conditions of addiction. Resource gathering, survival, time pressure, achievements, looting, competition, fast movements, bright colours. It checks a lot of boxes on a psychological level to addict. So you'll likely want to get to the bottom of this with him. Is he addicted, or just passionate?
    That's a lot of good advice - I'm thinking its the same as being self employed - I'm going to read thru this again - he does have a good setup but he keeps whinnig to us he needs more and u fortunately we just don't understand it - I believe he built his own computers and he's pretty good with that - he is also good with photography and video but our equipment limits his ability for this - its funny because the High Commander always finds ways to shut his WiFi down but he always manages to get around it and plug away - I think its funny watching the two silently go at it...lol /I plan to sit him down and talk with him and maybe help him organize thoughts and time management and maybe get him set up better with his own interest feed etc. - I'm gathering info and I have to talk to him when the High Commander is not around...lol this info you have shared will help with that conversation he's pretty intelligent and I need to kind of know a it or I will just lose him...
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Quote Originally Posted by Not4you View Post

That's a lot of good advice - I'm thinking its the same as being self employed - I'm going to read thru this again - he does have a good setup but he keeps whinnig to us he needs more and u fortunately we just don't understand it - I believe he built his own computers and he's pretty good with that - he is also good with photography and video but our equipment limits his ability for this - its funny because the High Commander always finds ways to shut his WiFi down but he always manages to get around it and plug away - I think its funny watching the two silently go at it...lol /I plan to sit him down and talk with him and maybe help him organize thoughts and time management and maybe get him set up better with his own internet feed etc. - I'm gathering info and I have to talk to him when the High Commander is not around...lol this info you have shared will help with that conversation he's pretty intelligent and I need to kind of know a it or I will just lose him...also he's a bit of a scammer and will try to scam me...lol the skinny little bugger has ball's
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

maybe let him do most of the talking to start ... see where he is coming from and legit try to learn and understand what it all means to him.
    BECAUSE RACECAR

BECAUSE RACECAR

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    That's a lot of good advice - I'm thinking its the same as being self employed - I'm going to read thru this again - he does have a good setup but he keeps whinnig to us he needs more and u fortunately we just don't understand it - I believe he built his own computers and he's pretty good with that - he is also good with photography and video but our equipment limits his ability for this - its funny because the High Commander always finds ways to shut his WiFi down but he always manages to get around it and plug away - I think its funny watching the two silently go at it...lol /I plan to sit him down and talk with him and maybe help him organize thoughts and time management and maybe get him set up better with his own interest feed etc. - I'm gathering info and I have to talk to him when the High Commander is not around...lol this info you have shared will help with that conversation he's pretty intelligent and I need to kind of know a it or I will just lose him...
    The motorbike project I'd healthy. Very hands on and might help. I sold alot of paintball stuff that was. basically endless money being thrown out and a waste as I got deeper into a mustang. At least a vehicle has more purpose, but then again any hobby serves the purpose of keeping someone busy and happy. If a hobby becomes detrimental to your well being, thats when it's time to reevaluate.

Wanted to add that at times gaming is an escape for some people... to dive into a different world / story. Important to differentiate between reality and the virtual world. So I say just have a word with him and as others have suggested, let him do most of the talking. Technology is a massive part of our lives (to a fault) and it is very strongly entwined. Taking away something someone likes without warning would possibly back fire.

PS...I laughed at the bit where you mentioned your wife and kid were turning the internet on and off in some sort of silent war. I was in a similar predicament. My solution:

I bought a USB wifi adapter and connected to a neighbor's wifi. The adapter lasted a year through every season before ultimately failing lol. I taped it to a pole outside my bedroom window .