Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New York City businesses struggle after minimum wage increase

But it targets the small mom and pop more than it does the big ones. There was NO time to prep
    Increase is fine but that much that fast hurts.

I for one before the raise didn’t pay minimum. The forced increase cost us to downsize. I’m not taking a loss

It’s my money. My future my house on the line.

Personally I used to be of the same idea Untill I ran a business.

Living it changes perception

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    employees have free choice, the free choice to leave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j01L69eXdI
    Not so cut and dry

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    But it targets the small mom and pop more than it does the big ones. There was NO time to prep
    Increase is fine but that much that fast hurts.

I for one before the raise didn’t pay minimum. The forced increase cost us to downsize. I’m not taking a loss

It’s my money. My future my house on the line.

Personally I used to be of the same idea Untill I ran a business.

Living it changes perception
    Yes. Signing the front of the cheque vs. the back.
    Member of the IDGAF+FU2 Community

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    Just to clarify im targetting multimillion dollar businesses not mom and pop ones. And unfortunately, the large corporations / businesses fuck over the little workers. The ceo always has a giant goodbuy golden parachute when he leaves. Employees get some garbage little package...if at all.

Wages had to increase after 40+ years of stagnation. Also, businesses could mark up a bit to make up for losses. They had time to prepare for the hike. You cant expect minimum to stay at 8 dollars when houses are costing several millions and rent costs more than a regular mortgage.

Got to disagree with some of your points. I don't think all large corporations fuck over their workers, and not every CEO is out there slashing and hacking to pad their fund. Most employees get to work their 9-5 then come home and turn it off. Upper tier management is essentially on the clock 24/7 365. How much is having a life outside work worth it to you? Would you swap pay scales if it meant missing your kids birthdays? Having to go in for emergencies on Christmas day? Having your name spread across the media whenever there's a problem or issue with the company and having to answer for actions or decisions of 100's of people many of whom you don't have direct control of?

I'm frankly fucking sick of the blame the CEO mentality. Not saying this is your case at all or saying that maybe where you're at isn't dysfunctional but I hear more pissing and moaning about CEO wages from people who barely have completed a high school education or got a post secondary degree in underwater basket weaving and then expect a company to reward there skills in missing 25 days a years of work and fucking the dog when they do grace them with their presence. Again not saying this is your case but I see it an overwhelming amount. If you are a hard worker then I assure you there are jobs/companies out there that reward that still, if your employer isn't one you should invest time in to marketing yourself and get the hell out of there as toxic work relationships kill you in ways you don't know.

Secondly the minimum wage isn't enough to live on argument sickens me. Minimum wage is designed to allow low skills workers in to low skilled positions to allow them to either build a skill set within the workforce and grow, or realize holy fuck I don't like busting my ass for this shit pay and seek out higher education in a field that has a chance to provide more return.

Just my 0.02, I know its a wildly unpopular opinion but it's mine and ill stand behind it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Interesting article about what happened in the 60's (for those of us too young to remember)

When the provincial government introduced hourly minimum-wage legislation in 1963, opponents of the move predicted doomsday scenarios. Diners going under. Staffing reductions. Costs passed on to consumers. Implementation of minimum tabs. And, worst of all, the demise of the 10-cent cup of coffee, a staple since the Second World War.
    https://www.tvo.org/article/the-1960...e-minimum-wage

Feels like nothing has changed in over 50 year
    Dalton Waller, president of the Canadian Restaurant Association, observed in an interview with the Toronto Daily Star, “this is an industry that takes in many unskilled people, folks who don’t speak the Queen’s English or any English.” Waller also warned: “You start paying it to the fellow who does menial tasks and pretty soon everyone above him feels they ought to get more too.”
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Interesting article about what happened in the 60's (for those of us too young to remember)

https://www.tvo.org/article/the-1960...e-minimum-wage

Feels like nothing has changed in over 50 year
    But people that were paid more did demand more when the wage went up.
    One of my guys looked right at me and said “you better not expect me to do what I’m doing now when minimum goes up, I’m not Doing this for a dollar more than minimum wage.”

The biggest issue is there is no stop. There is no end game.

Already in Ontario there are those fighting now for 17-20 per hour as a minimum wage.

Same in the states where they wine the fight for 15. Now they are fighting for 20.

What constitutes enough?

Government should have thought about this before letting foreigners annihilate our housing market. I dont care if this is an unpopular opinion but its impossible to deny the housing market caused everything else to skyrocket in price. And I hear "Move further away" as a solution or "Find a another job." Its not that simple.

It is not fair that Canadians that grew up in Ontario (as an example) were displaced by rich foreigners that have no citizenship and have no intention of even staying in canada. Now everyone else is forced to move further away into the middle of nowhere to buy or even rent. The commute itself can add to the loss of income.

And this brings us back to the fact that even with mininum wage increasing its too minimum even to live and grow with. Its still not enough to open the gate for higher paying jobs. Most people are stuck at these jobs barely scraping by and not having enough to invest into education.

Ive been through this and even though I found a good job a couple of years back, it set me back substantially having to bust my ass for jobs that demand more work than my pay grade.

All valid points I just don't believe the answer forcing wages up

I will say I have NEVER held a job that didn’t demand more work than the pay and that only got worse starting my own business. Lol

My employees have all gotten a raise almost every year and bonuses at Christmas

It’s been 8 years since I’ve gotten a raise as I’m currently making 10 to 15 and hour less than I could go to London and make working for someone else.
    If you talk to business owners I think you’ll find this common. At least among other business people I know

if they come in threw the proper channels and work to gain a skill and contribute to society then come on in.

if they want to come in and gain a government paycheck then send them back and give their spot to someone willing to work and contribute.

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar

New York City businesses struggle after minimum wage increase

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    Canada doesn't need low skill workers
    Just saw this?
    https://ca.yahoo.com/news/canada-doi...132514284.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver