Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for a rebuild...decisions to make!

Time for a rebuild...decisions to make!

So I need to rebuild my shortblock due to ring issues in #8. Probably going with a 306 from beatty and woods with Wiseco forged pistons, APR rod bolts and upgraded rods. Rings will be gapped for boost.
    Currently i have y303 heads, Cobra intake and I believe an E cam with a Vortech A trim making 10lbs. A trim is staying, same with the intake (love the look) but debating on changing heads and cam.
    I know my heads now are very intake biased, dont flow that well and the E cam is old tech. Keeping in mind a restrictive budget, would you swap heads to something else? Perhaps get a cam that may work better than the E with my current heads? I've heard the TFS stage 1 due to lob separation will work better? I don't know much about cams so you'll have to forgive me. Ideally, if I can maybe just swap the cam and make my current set otherwise work well that would be great.
    Oh, also have 1.7 RR.s

What did you make for TQ / RWHP with that combo?

Club Supporter
    I went with Beatty & Woods several years ago for my 306 build (for boost), forged, etc., AFR heads, SQ-trim, and did E-cam due to e-test requirement (and AOD). I originally got 1.7RR's but B&W/ZR recommended 1.6's based on what I was looking for. Still going strong as a get in and drive car.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    What did you make for TQ / RWHP with that combo?
    430rwhp/450tq

Combo is overachieving, why fight a good thing.
    Key is to figure out why it took rings out so doesn't happen to fresh short.

True...could be tune related...but also that motor has had boost on it for 15 years. When I went back to the dyno 2 weeks ago tuner said the tune was lean and too much timing even though it was him who did the tune 2 years prior.

Have you made any changes to, PCV, intake or fuel system? Was distributor touched in any way or intake changed?
    Is PCV system closed or venting to atmosphere?

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Have you made any changes to, PCV, intake or fuel system? Was distributor touched in any way or intake changed?
    Is PCV system closed or venting to atmosphere?
    Closed PCV system. Intake not changed. Dist was removed and re installed but verified timing was correct.

The tuner did say the tune that he did previously looked lean and there was too much total timing