Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  6

Thread: 2000 GT Engine Question

ThatNewEdgeguy

2000 GT Engine Question

hey folks, I'm hoping this is the place to post this.

i have a 2000 GT i bought the car with what was told to me was rod knock.i listened and it sounded like knock

my uncle whose a 30+ year mechanic heard the noise and said "it doesn't sound like knock.

it sounds like the timing guide is fuc*ed its knocking on the inside of the cover,these motors aren't known to throw rods. But timing guides I've done tons on these motors"

my question is.

is he correct?
    I'm new to these motors and the New Edge body style. i came from 87-93 foxbodies.

any help is greatly appreciated.

How many miles on the car? Why would you doubt your uncle?
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

Only way to know for sure, pull front cover off and take a look, yes it could be tensioner or guide failed or chains are stretched beyond what tensioners can control. On the flip side, these modulars engines make tracking down an internal noise very difficult.

Rod issues are not common, and yes, timing drive issues are common. If it was me I’d start by dropping the oil, if it’s full of steel it may be a rod knock, if nothing it will likely be timing chain/guide. They’ve also been known to break cam towers, which also causes a noise.

Collapsed piston is also common.

Yea, agree on above. Tear down is needed. Ponyryd makes good point on the oil check first and just see if it's a copper milkshake. If oil clean then time to pull that front cover off and look at your guides, chains and tensioners. If they're all fair then pop off the valve covers and begin to inspect the valvetrain.

Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

ThatNewEdgeguy
    Hey folks.i’ve checked oil and it’s golden yellow still. Looks freshly changed actually

Timing might explain why I hear the noise predominantly on the driver side of the motor