Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuel tank pressure sensor troubles, warranty refused by Ford dealer

F1Fan

Fuel tank pressure sensor troubles, warranty refused by Ford dealer

Hi people. So my check engine light came on on my 2019 GT. Dealer ran the codes and told me it’s the fuel tank pressure sensor. They claim that the application of Krown rust preventative has gummed up the sensor. $800 to replace it. “Sorry, no warranty on it because the Krown stuff damaged the sensor”. When I bought the car 4 months ago the finance guy asked if I wanted their rust proofing and I declined, stating I will be going to Krown. The guy said “no problem, that’s fine.”

The service advisor asked which Krown location I went to, because “Krown knows not to spray in the area of the sensor as it is a known issue and Ford has seen this before.” I told him which location it was and that I would never use Krown again. He said, “oh no, Krown is good. Keep using it but go to xxxxx location instead as they know, and this is where we send our customers.” He even went further to tell me he has had is own car sprayed there for 6 years running with no issue.

So the finance guy and the service advisor both advocate using Krown, but then when the sensor fails they wash their hands of it. WTF? How can they tell me to keep using it. And when another sensor fails they will play the same card?

I have called Ford Canada and they won’t do anything for me. That person even apologized for the dealers poor handling of it from day one and that they should not have said it’s fine to use, and now to even suggest I go to a different Krown location. But sorry, no. We won’t cover it under warranty.

I’m waiting to hear back from the Krown corporate office but I’m sure I know what they will say.

I told Ford that I can not accept that two of their staff knew I would use Krown and in fact did say, and continue to say that Krown is fine to use but then will not honour a warranty claim when the sensor fails because of the application of the product. That’s like...here, drop this rock on your hood, it’s fine! Oh, did it damage the paint? Sorry, your on your own. I mean really?

I am simply gutted. Has anyone heard of this issue before? I’m really pissed off about this and I don’t know what to do.

Not sure if this is in the correct forum, please feel free to move it if needed

Similar experience with Krown causing an issue with the plastic housing of the fuel pump module on my previous GM truck. Krown blew me off denying any possible issue with their product.
    They also refused to look after product has damaged every door rubber on my wifes car (well known issue).
    I've since switched over to Corrosion Free.

And in end after paying 800 it maybe not the sensor...no guarantees. My Ford fusion AWD weak motor mounts brought in knock sensor which in turn computer brought in tank pressure sensor...changed motor mounts after charging a bunch stuff..code stays clear now....

F1Fan
    Thanks guys. I’m curious, were your issues apparent after only one Krown application or several. I’m wondering what my odds are for further trouble if I stop with Krown now after only the one time.
    I’m sure it is all luck of the draw also. I mean, Krown is a CAA recommend product, one of the highest rated rust protection products out there right now. I’m sure many many people have had no issues.

On the other hand there is a lot of evidence that it may not even be needed anymore. Rust proofing to a great deal was born out of a period in the 70’s when new cars would rust as you drove them off the dealers lot. I believe that in most cases, cars are being built better right now. My 11 year old Hyundai Sonata has never been treated and just now there is a bit of discolouration starting.

More to the warranty refusal issue. Is there anyone else out there who has had this happen? And what course of action did you take? Results? I’m wondering if BBB or some of the better known consumer advocacy groups might be of any use.
    Right now I’m leaning towards just paying up as I can’t stand knowing there is a faulty anything on my 4 month old car, and going after a reimbursement or credit of some sort.

Both the service advisor and the tech who worked on my car suggested to keep driving it for a few weeks. They say that sometimes the sensor will dry out and work fine again. They say they have personally seen this. Their claim is that even though Krown is oil based, it will still evaporate over time, hence the need for yearly reapplication. And yes, I had the service advisor sign off saying it’s safe to drive the car with a faulty sensor. Everything in writing from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by F1Fan View Post
    Thanks guys. I’m curious, were your issues apparent after only one Krown application or several. I’m wondering what my odds are for further trouble if I stop with Krown now after only the one time.
    I’m sure it is all luck of the draw also. I mean, Krown is a CAA recommend product, one of the highest rated rust protection products out there right now. I’m sure many many people have had no issues.

On the other hand there is a lot of evidence that it may not even be needed anymore. Rust proofing to a great deal was born out of a period in the 70’s when new cars would rust as you drove them off the dealers lot. I believe that in most cases, cars are being built better right now. My 11 year old Hyundai Sonata has never been treated and just now there is a bit of discolouration starting.

More to the warranty refusal issue. Is there anyone else out there who has had this happen? And what course of action did you take? Results? I’m wondering if BBB or some of the better known consumer advocacy groups might be of any use.
    Right now I’m leaning towards just paying up as I can’t stand knowing there is a faulty anything on my 4 month old car, and going after a reimbursement or credit of some sort.

Both the service advisor and the tech who worked on my car suggested to keep driving it for a few weeks. They say that sometimes the sensor will dry out and work fine again. They say they have personally seen this. Their claim is that even though Krown is oil based, it will still evaporate over time, hence the need for yearly reapplication. And yes, I had the service advisor sign off saying it’s safe to drive the car with a faulty sensor. Everything in writing from now on.
    Do you have a code reader? and did you see the actual code on the reader? - I tripped a code in my 2018 a "misfire code" simple fix was to clear it - maybe get a reader or find a friend with one
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Wonder if my car shouldn’t have a fuel tank pressure sensor?
    -Don____________

F1Fan
    Thanks hammerhead. What’s a reliable code reader and where do I get one?
    And can the dealership detect if I have used one prior to a visit? Let’s say I get a CE light for something stupid or the same one I’ve had for the fuel tank pressure sensor and I clear it. Is there a on-board record of it being looked at and reset?

Quote Originally Posted by F1Fan View Post
    Thanks hammerhead. What’s a reliable code reader and where do I get one?
    And can the dealership detect if I have used one prior to a visit? Let’s say I get a CE light for something stupid or the same one I’ve had for the fuel tank pressure sensor and I clear it. Is there a on-board record of it being looked at and reset?
    I have to double check what mine is I don't use it often I picked it up on amazon for around s350.00 and it reads all makes - I would think the computer stores all information but I'm not 100 percent sure - I will get back to on the one I have but hold tight someone else will chime in...

Edit also Krown does disipate over time
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Theres also code readers that are inexpensive to purchase and use and app on a cell phone - I've used these before and they are pretty slick
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Wonder if my car shouldn’t have a fuel tank pressure sensor?
    you getting codes?
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd