Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  29
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuel tank pressure sensor troubles, warranty refused by Ford dealer

With the nonsense being sprayed on our winter roads these days, rust proofing is needed more than ever.

I've never seen a fuel tank pressure sensor fail other than rust proof contamination

F1Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    I've never seen a fuel tank pressure sensor fail other than rust proof contamination
    Hey Spock, where were you when I went to Krown?
    Live long and prosper!

When I purchased my 13 Lincoln MKX and the dealer mentioned their rust proof pkg., I said thanks, but I'm going with Krown, at which point they warned that Krown applications have been known to cause sensor problems. I had my previous 89 Taurus SHO sprayed with Krown and never had an issue. I've now had two applications of Krown on the Lincoln with no ill affect and also my 08 Focus. They've been in business for a long time, so seems like most people don't have a problem with them. Would be interested to hear the science behind why an oil penetrant causes sensors to fail? Creates a short circuit?

Sorry to hear about your trouble....

F1Fan
    Yes, it changes the voltage reading of the sensor. But still, a highly rated product which even the CAA recommends. I just don’t get it. The service advisor even suggests I continue using it because it’s a good product. Go figure.
    The CE light has not come back on yet so I’m really hoping I am one of the lucky ones the tech was talking about. He claims that sometimes the sensor will come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8Stang View Post
    When I purchased my 13 Lincoln MKX and the dealer mentioned their rust proof pkg., I said thanks, but I'm going with Krown, at which point they warned that Krown applications have been known to cause sensor problems. I had my previous 89 Taurus SHO sprayed with Krown and never had an issue. I've now had two applications of Krown on the Lincoln with no ill affect and also my 08 Focus. They've been in business for a long time, so seems like most people don't have a problem with them. Would be interested to hear the science behind why an oil penetrant causes sensors to fail? Creates a short circuit?

Sorry to hear about your trouble....
    In my case, pump module is made of plastic with four terminals on the top, two for fuel pump and two for gas gauge. At approx two years gas gauge would randomly go berserk reading pretty much anything it felt like or nothing at all followed by truck would sometimes lightly sputter or even feel like it was about to quit then might do it again shortly there after or perhaps not for weeks. At one point it had gone several weeks with no hesitation, meanwhile gauge was to the point it seldom worked. Sender failing is a common GM problem, ordered one and pulled the box off to install. With new one in and box still off, fired up the truck, gauge worked like a rock star so box back on and headed out to lunch. All well n good but as we turned into Big Boys, be dammed if the gauge didn't drop to zero and stay there and truck hesitated hard. Pulled the box back off n traced every wire checking for damage, nothing. Module back out and test sensor, works as it should, test old one, yes it works fine as well. Drop back in the tank n hook up, no gauge n truck hard to start. Tired of wiping the Krown off my hands, took a can of brake cleans to the module before pulling out again, test pump, it's fine, test sender, same. Drop module back in, truck fires up no problem and gauge is now working. Since all four wires are the same plug and vehicle side of the harness is full of Krown, test to see if the combo of Krown n dirt is conductive with my meter, yes it most certainly is. Ok so we've found the problem, wash the plug out with brake cleans, rewash outside of the module and drop it back in. Gauge works, truck runs, box back on again. For the next couple of weeks, no problem, gotta be out of the woods when right out of the blue, truck hesitates n gauge goes to zero at the same time. Yes box back off and test before pulling the module, it's a rainy day and top of the tank is moist, meter confirms even with Krown washed off top of the module is conductive. It would appear Krown has been at least partially absorbed into the plaster and it spite of looking squeaky clean when moist conducts between terminals. Ok so off to GM n buy a new module, in it goes and truck runs like a rock star. Contact Krown, flat out told there is no way possible it could happen, must have been sprayed with something else before I puchased (trk was 18 months old when I purchased). Again, ok must be a total fluke because Krown are the experts on what can and can not happen with their products right................wrong!! Continued with Krown and just under two years later right out of the blue truck hesitated and gauge went to zero, yes the scenario they claimed as being impossible had happened again. Pulled the box, washed the hell outta the top of the module and inside plug, box back on, gauge worked most of the time. Disclosed to the dealer I traded it into a short time later that gauge has an intermittent problem and called it a day, worked when he drove it so could have cared less.
    In the GM truck forums, sender failure is extremely common and most of the time replacing it see's the gauge work as it should but there is a small number who have either paid the dealer or replaced themselves n never see the gauge work properly.
    Further, every single door rubber on my wifes car is either sagging or fallen off. Krown claims they've protected them with a spray on material prior to applying their rust proofing so it has to be something else that ate the rubbers.
    Since purchasing the Ram, has switched over to Corrosion Free. Only been on coming up a yr now, fingers crossed it protects as stated and doesn't cause spin off damage.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    In my case, pump module is made of plastic with four terminals on the top, two for fuel pump and two for gas gauge. At approx two years gas gauge would randomly go berserk reading pretty much anything it felt like or nothing at all followed by truck would sometimes lightly sputter or even feel like it was about to quit then might do it again shortly there after or perhaps not for weeks. At one point it had gone several weeks with no hesitation, meanwhile gauge was to the point it seldom worked. Sender failing is a common GM problem, ordered one and pulled the box off to install. With new one in and box still off, fired up the truck, gauge worked like a rock star so box back on and headed out to lunch. All well n good but as we turned into Big Boys, be dammed if the gauge didn't drop to zero and stay there and truck hesitated hard. Pulled the box back off n traced every wire checking for damage, nothing. Module back out and test sensor, works as it should, test old one, yes it works fine as well. Drop back in the tank n hook up, no gauge n truck hard to start. Tired of wiping the Krown off my hands, took a can of brake cleans to the module before pulling out again, test pump, it's fine, test sender, same. Drop module back in, truck fires up no problem and gauge is now working. Since all four wires are the same plug and vehicle side of the harness is full of Krown, test to see if the combo of Krown n dirt is conductive with my meter, yes it most certainly is. Ok so we've found the problem, wash the plug out with brake cleans, rewash outside of the module and drop it back in. Gauge works, truck runs, box back on again. For the next couple of weeks, no problem, gotta be out of the woods when right out of the blue, truck hesitates n gauge goes to zero at the same time. Yes box back off and test before pulling the module, it's a rainy day and top of the tank is moist, meter confirms even with Krown washed off top of the module is conductive. It would appear Krown has been at least partially absorbed into the plaster and it spite of looking squeaky clean when moist conducts between terminals. Ok so off to GM n buy a new module, in it goes and truck runs like a rock star. Contact Krown, flat out told there is no way possible it could happen, must have been sprayed with something else before I puchased (trk was 18 months old when I purchased). Again, ok must be a total fluke because Krown are the experts on what can and can not happen with their products right................wrong!! Continued with Krown and just under two years later right out of the blue truck hesitated and gauge went to zero, yes the scenario they claimed as being impossible had happened again. Pulled the box, washed the hell outta the top of the module and inside plug, box back on, gauge worked most of the time. Disclosed to the dealer I traded it into a short time later that gauge has an intermittent problem and called it a day, worked when he drove it so could have cared less.
    In the GM truck forums, sender failure is extremely common and most of the time replacing it see's the gauge work as it should but there is a small number who have either paid the dealer or replaced themselves n never see the gauge work properly.
    Further, every single door rubber on my wifes car is either sagging or fallen off. Krown claims they've protected them with a spray on material prior to applying their rust proofing so it has to be something else that ate the rubbers.
    Since purchasing the Ram, has switched over to Corrosion Free. Only been on coming up a yr now, fingers crossed it protects as stated and doesn't cause spin off damage.
    Wow....I think that would send me to the looney bin. Just when you thought things were fixed....they weren't. Nothing more annoying. Keep us posted on how the Corrosion Free works out. Anyone that wants to hang onto a vehicle up here in Saltville has no choice but to either get their car sprayed or....watch it rust. Not sure which is worse after reading your post!

Exactly that, spray it or watch it disintegrate.

F1Fan
    Well my 2007 Hyundai Sonata has never been sprayed. Just now it’s showing some rust (on the outside at least) so I’m thinking I’ll take my chances and stop the rust preventative.
    I had a 1989 Mustang 5.0. Sprayed it twice. When the rust spot came up on the A pillar they told me it was a factory defect, moisture trapped under the paint when it was built, and wouldn’t touch it. So much for a warranty that time also. I’m starting to really think warranty’s are a huge ripoff!

F1Fan
    CE light came on again. I guess it’s not going to dry out like Ford suggested it might. And I find out that Ford USA has the sensor on back order, 2-3 weeks....maybe!
    Called Krown head office today. Doesn’t look good from that end either. I guess no one has the balls to stand behind their product anymore. This world is going to hell.