Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  62
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Normal Coolant temp?

Normal Coolant temp?

A few weeks back the mustang overheated on the highway. Had the cruise control on at 140 with the A/C blowing in my face, having a nice drive.. when the A/C got hot. WTF!? Played with the knobs, then checked the gauges and I instantly put it in neutral. The Temperature gauge was in the red. While gliding to a safer spot to pull over in the express, the engine shut down.

While waiting an 1 hour for a tow, the Engine cooled. I started her and she turned over with no issues. But I'm not gonna risk it so I waited for the tow.

Got her home and after she cooled down, I checked and there was no coolant in the reservoir. Shit FUCk!

I had a similar experience with my dads old van I was using for a few weeks. He forgot to tell me he has a coolant leak and it was bone dry and I cracked the block!

Anyhoo the mustang was short aboot 6L... Where did it go? I noticed no leaks.

I check the oil for mixing. I need an oil change but the oil looks normal. it's dark golden, but not milky.
    The coolant is not rusty or oily and The fan is running??

so I go test it out with torque running and on the highway I'm running 88C but idling it hits 95-102C

Is this normal running temperature?
    Joel,

88C = 190F. That’s normal. Mine usually runs between 190-205

Not leaking, not in the oil, only one place left to go ...out the tailpipe.
    -Don____________

Coolant has............
    -leaked into the oil
    -external leak
    -seeping into cyls via head gasket or crack n burnt
    If your 100% confident no external leak, might as well drive for a bit while closely monitoring coolant level. Q............how long since it was last checked?

Check the valley, does your car have the OEM Ford Replacement intake manifold (separate intake gaskets and manifold) or the Dorman style intake with integrated gaskets?
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

I drove the car to work today, some bad traffic so I was going from 96-103C (217.4F) Still normal?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    88C = 190F. That’s normal. Mine usually runs between 190-205

Not leaking, not in the oil, only one place left to go ...out the tailpipe.
    How do I find out if its out the tailpipe?

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Coolant has............
    -leaked into the oil
    -external leak
    If your 100% confident no external leak, might as well drive for a bit while closely monitoring coolant level. Q............how long since it was last checked?
    I don't see a leak. I have a very small oil leak that I watch all the time and I don't see anything else.
    Last time I checked was last year before storage. It was low but not 6L low.

-leaked into the oil
    -external leak

What do I look for?
    Joel,

- Check your oil, if it's like a chocolate milkshake in their congrats you've got bad head gaskets or a cracked coolant passage.
    - External leak would be puddles around the car, or coolant residue on the motor. Like I said before check the cylinder head valley and see if there's coolant there, under the intake manifold
    - If it was seeping in to the cylinders you'd probably see white/sweet smelling smoke coming from the exhaust.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    - Check your oil, if it's like a chocolate milkshake in their congrats you've got bad head gaskets or a cracked coolant passage.
    - External leak would be puddles around the car, or coolant residue on the motor. Like I said before check the cylinder head valley and see if there's coolant there, under the intake manifold
    - If it was seeping in to the cylinders you'd probably see white/sweet smelling smoke coming from the exhaust.
    Thanks
    How obvious is the white smoke? I don't smell anything from the rear, but I think I smell it from the front. More so on the passenger side.

Oil

Joel,

I stand corrected.

The little spot is my oil. but the larger one behind...I dont know what that is? I dont see a colour or smell
    I parked backwards so thats the drivers side. about 10 hours of sitting.
    Joel,

Time to investigate further.

I got it ... I'll Taste it?
    Joel,