Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  31
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone DD'ing their 2011+ GT in the winter? How is it holding up rust/paint/body?

Anyone DD'ing their 2011+ GT in the winter? How is it holding up rust/paint/body?

So my new to me 2017 GT will be used this winter, in the process of getting 18" steels and winter tires.

Just wondering how 2011+ body has been holding up to winter crap and salt. I was thinking about getting a car cover as I won't be driving it everyday but then it might freeze to the car ( sits out in a parking lot) and was debating oil spraying also. I'm assuming the 2011+ mustangs (or most cars really) are very resistant to rust? Do you just take it to the car wash once every few weeks?

Thanks

I would get it Krown'd and go to power wash once a week (on warmer sunny days) and spray off salt. JMO

Just as a side note, I don't think that you'll find any steel wheels that go over the 2015+ GT brakes. There are lots of reasonable cost 18" alloy options though.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

I wouldn't bother with a car cover for the reason you stated plus you would have to clean the car before placing it back on. Rust proofing and a good rinse now and then should suffice. Don't know your living arrangements but if I could I'd look for a garage or underground spot nearby you could rent. Even had a local Church with an attached building for Seniors that rented out their spots for $50/month.
    Member of the IDGAF+FU2 Community

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    Just as a side note, I don't think that you'll find any steel wheels that go over the 2015+ GT brakes. There are lots of reasonable cost 18" alloy options though.

cheers
    Ed
    Agreed, likely will need to go with 19" and if you do that then I would suggest using your OEM wheels with proper snows mounted. Then buy a more aggressive (wider) 19" set for summer use. LMR has some really nice options at a reasonable cost for 19x10 & 19x11" setups that come with TPMS, tires and are all lighter than OEM as they are flow forged.
    FABMAN

As stated do not use a cover, you will do more damage than good and it will be a horrible experience for you, trust me.
    But yes, modern cars rust and rot just like the old stuff, it can be curbed by using a drip-style oil spray/rustproofing, hitting a touchless carwash with underbody spray at least once a week, or both. The petro carwash card is great for this.

I drove my 18 eco last year and have yet to notice even a trace of rust.
    If you don't have the performance pack 6 pistons 18" fit. I found a set of new takeoff stock ford wheels for a great deal and mounted x-ice tires

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

After my issues with Krown, switched to Corrosion Free for the Ram. Still too early to tell how it'll work out long term but pleased how well it's stayed in placed after a full winters use.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    After my issues with Krown, switched to Corrosion Free for the Ram. Still too early to tell how it'll work out long term but pleased how well it's stayed in placed after a full winters use.
    You had problems with krown? What is corrosion free?

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post

cheers
    Ed

I took a look online and found a few 18" steelies, said they fit. If I can find low cost 18" alloy that would be great but I haven't found anything less than 800 bucks. Which isn't reasonable lol