Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Warranty worries with after market rims

F1Fan

Warranty worries with after market rims

So after the fiasco of having to pay for a new fuel tank pressure sensor on my 5 month old 2019 GT (dealer says Krown treatment from four months ago damaged the sensor and pooched the warranty on that part) I have another concern.

I have an option to buy a nice set of after market rims and snows from a guy who had them on his 2017. He says they fit great, cleared the Brembo callipers nicely up front and worked well in his opinion. I would like to do this just to extend the driving season up until the snow and salt hits at which time the car gets stored. I hated storing my old one so early and would love to get a couple more months out of my new car. You know how the summer tires are below 7 degrees, specially in the wet. He stayed with the same overall diameter but I’m not sure of the offset. They don’t look really different.

With the experience with the sensor I am wondering if this is opening me up to further trouble with Ford should they see them, or if something happens to brakes, suspension or windshield wipers! (I’m expecting anything now!!!��)

What do you people think? One thing I’m thinking is to toss one in the trunk and go ask service where I stand.

And yes, the words “AFTER MARKET” are ringing a bell.

Any ideas or experiences?
    Last edited by F1Fan; 10-06-2019 at 02:51 PM.

Depends on the dealer, but really there would need to be a legitimate reason as to how wheels/tires caused a problem. FWIW I work at an FCA dealer and we do tons of warranty on vehicles with aftermarket parts, if the aftermarket part didn’t cause the failure, it’s still covered by factory warranty.
    Now, I could understand the issue with Krown, reason being the sensor may need to be sent back to Ford for warranty, and if Ford sees the sensor soaked in Krown they could charge-back the repair to the dealer. Im not defending them, I’m just saying they’re covering themselves, and they likely saw a legitimate failure due to Krown application.

F1Fan
    Ya, not sure what to do now.

I’ll tell ya what to do, buy the wheels and don’t worry about it!

As long as their the same size as OEM there shouldn't be a problem