Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln MKX Tranny oil

Lincoln MKX Tranny oil

Wow....only 87K kms. on the vehicle and the Mercon LV that came out of it today looked filthy!! Owners Maintenance manual recommends changing it at over 200K Kms…..I can't imagine what it would look like at that point.

After going through a couple of drains and re-fills (drove the vehicle about 30 kms., then drained and refilled....get about 4.5L drained out each time) the fluid looks quite a bit better and the vehicle definitely feels like its shifting much smoother.

Don't think I'll wait for another almost 90K to change that fluid again based on what I saw today.

Seem similar issue with a few late model vehicles where trans fluid is considered good for life of vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Seem similar issue with a few late model vehicles where trans fluid is considered good for life of vehicle.
    Seems ludicrous, since all the other fluids in a vehicle recommend a change interval. Looking on YouTube, seems there are more than a few people with opinions on the Ford Tranny Fluid change interval needing to be shorter. I think I'll just look at it as cheap insurance....

Thought trans was starting to go south in Kath's HHR at lil over 100k on the clock (no dip stick on trans, like so many these days). Dropped pan n did filter then refilled, be darned if it wasn't better. Did drain only at next oil change, fluid looking bunch better, did again at next oil change, fluid looked way closer to fresh, trans shifting n acting as it should. So all in I'd spend under $200, pennies on the dollar compared to leaving till it failed and had to rebuild.
    With that said, my norm is not to drop the pan n do filter etc. We do fluid exchange via pressure side trans line to the cooler with engine idling and continuing to pour fluid in the trans until it comes out clean. I know at least some peeps in the trans rebuilding biz say it will harm the pump but we've done it more times vs what I can count with nothing but positive results, yes on both various domestics n imports. I've done it to all of my previous trucks, will be doing the Ram before it hits 100km as well.

Unrelated but wondering 3.5 or 3.7L ? I heard the water pump is a fortune to replace since it's driven by the timing chain

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    Unrelated but wondering 3.5 or 3.7L ? I heard the water pump is a fortune to replace since it's driven by the timing chain

Yes sir, you are correct and it applies to both 3.5 & 3.7. Here's a YouTube with a quick overview. To say its a bad design....is an understatement. Not a job I'd tackle myself....

Thought so ! What a stupid design. My coworkers mkt puked coolant out the peep hole and it cost her 1800 to get it done from her mechanic. Funny thing is i asked my local mechanic first who is like 10 min from my house and he flat out refused said its a 15 hour job..i asked after i did extensive research on the waterpump.

I was so shocked at how labor intensive the job is.

Thought so ! What a stupid design. My coworkers mkt puked coolant out the peep hole and it cost her 1800 to get it done from her mechanic. Funny thing is i asked my local mechanic first who is like 10 min from my house and he flat out refused said its a 15 hour job..i asked after i did extensive research on the waterpump.

I was so shocked at how labor intensive the job is.

Yah, definitely a very big job complicated by the timing chain and related component removal and re-install required. I tackled a timing belt change on my 89 Taurus SHO and replaced the water pump while I was in there as preventative maintenance. It also required taking off the intake, removing the timing the timing belt/pump covers, removing the harmonic balancer.....but no timing chain non-sense to deal with and could be done in much less time....especially after you've done it once before.

I've got my fingers crossed my pump lasts longer then your co-workers. How many K's on their vehicle when it puked?

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8Stang View Post
    Yah, definitely a very big job complicated by the timing chain and related component removal and re-install required. I tackled a timing belt change on my 89 Taurus SHO and replaced the water pump while I was in there as preventative maintenance. It also required taking off the intake, removing the timing the timing belt/pump covers, removing the harmonic balancer.....but no timing chain non-sense to deal with and could be done in much less time....especially after you've done it once before.

I've got my fingers crossed my pump lasts longer then your co-workers. How many K's on their vehicle when it puked?
    Belts are definitely easier ! My 98 camry has a non interference engine so if the belt goes it wont grenade the engine. Part of the reason why i bought it! And a timing belt job is a pain but affordable...so if i pay someone to do it , it won't break my wallet !

She had over 220k on her mkt when it went. I warned her to get rid of it and get a toyota but she waited too long. Oh well! Itll get fixed and go another 100k (hopefully).

Belts are definitely easier ! My 98 camry has a non interference engine so if the belt goes it wont grenade the engine. Part of the reason why i bought it! And a timing belt job is a pain but affordable...so if i pay someone to do it , it won't break my wallet !

She had over 220k on her mkt when it went. I warned her to get rid of it and get a toyota but she waited too long. Oh well! Itll get fixed and go another 100k (hopefully).

Yah...the smart designers go non-interference, but most consumers are clueless of it, which if no one tells them its important to change the belt (interference design)....leads to a major engine repair when the belt breaks. Tough enough to get some just to do regular oil changes! Haha!

I've always bought and kept my cars, believing that if I maintain them, and pay them off, I'll be further ahead in the long run. If the water pump is the only major repair your co-worker has put into her MKT....that's not too bad (despite it being a stupid design). You can do a lot of repairs a year and still be ahead of paying a lease or car payment.