Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MegaSquirt PNP2

You guys are using Megasquirt, around my parts everyone preaches Holley.. is there a huge difference between the two? I was looking at the terminator X because i just have a 347 and plan on keeping it N/A. I was told the Megasquirt or Holley Dominator was overkill.. I wouldnt be using them to their full potential?

CHILL5.0
    It's not about using them to their full potential, sure there are a ton of different things you can do and control through them but the fact of the matter is at the end of the day your engine will purr when tuned up.

Holley and MegaSquirt are very similar. Some will argue that they prefer the Firmware of the MegaSquirt over Holley. Personal preference really. For me, many use the MegaSquirt around me so I've got guys I can go to for help. I know their cars run really good on them so that also kinda sold me. I also had a good deal come up that I couldn't pass on. In the short time that I've had the MSPNP2 in my car (3 weeks and about 8-10 hours behind wheel) the engine already runs better than it did on the A9L with SCT chip. Mind you the guy out here that tuned it didn't know what he was doing. The Ontario guys know what they are doing.

MegaSquirt is also much cheaper than Holley. I'm not sure about their new standalone plug n play that they just released but their other systems are very pricey.

I'm also running an NA 347 atm. On the shitty SCT tune it made 370 at the wheels. I do plan on boosting it in the future as it is built with good internals and the block is good for 1000 or so.

Another option to look at is the Stinger PimpXS standalone plug n play ECU. It features a factory style box/enclosure so it fits right in place of the stock A9L computer and it features MS3 Firmware which is a step above my MS2 Firmware in my MegaSquirt. So many things you can do, it's crazy. Plus it has sequential fuelling which is a plus for dialling in the idle. The MS2 Firmware is batch fire fuelling. Little harder to get the idle controlled nicely but I've gotta say mine is pretty damn awesome already.

One of the things I really like is the additional outputs. I run dual Contour fans on my rad and they are power thirsty mofo's. I wired them into my MegaSquirt separately so that I can control them separately through the MS2 Firmware. I have them come on 4 degrees apart from each other to minimize the mass amp draw during motor startup for a split second. (Over 100 amps on startup between both fan motors) Now my engine has never run a more consistent coolant temp.

I also love having full control in my hands and learning how it all works. So far I rate the MegaSquirt PNP2 a 10 out of 10. Did I mention that you can take your MAF out and throw it in the parts bin or sell it? The MegaSquirt utilizes its own built in MAP sensor that you run a vac line to. You can run your MAF in conjunction with the built in MAP but it's not necessary and I'm not using mine and it works great.

CHILL5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by ttpinto View Post
    Ms3x or pro is great. I have it controlling so much of the car. Boost control, meth injection launch control and so much more. Its worth the extra cash.
    You can control all of that with the MSPNP2 as well. Right now all I have it controlling is my electric fans. Soon I will have it control my water pump too. I already have an ignition box with rev limiter and a 2 step module wired off my line lock button so I don't need to have my computer control all of that at this time. But I like that I could if I wanted or needed to. The MSPNP2 is more for beginners who like plug n play. Which I do. I don't feel like replacing my engine harness or sensors. I have no doubt that the MS3X is amazing, it can only be better than what I've got and I love what I've got so far.

Quote Originally Posted by 90GT View Post
    You guys are using Megasquirt, around my parts everyone preaches Holley.. is there a huge difference between the two? I was looking at the terminator X because i just have a 347 and plan on keeping it N/A. I was told the Megasquirt or Holley Dominator was overkill.. I wouldnt be using them to their full potential?
    I made my choice based on price. It was the most affordable on the market at the time. There was no terminator. It was around $850 us with the boost control solenoid, wires and some odds and ends. Its cheaper because I had to make my own harness. I have used Holley and Megasquirt and like them both, I have lots of I/O to control whatever I need to. More then the terminator. Holley is better supported locally for tuning if you don't plan on doing your own.