Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question re: Battery Tender Usage

Question Question re: Battery Tender Usage

I have a fresh new battery in the Shelby after the previous one started to fail.

My question is: Do I just disconnect the negative side cable (has a quick disconnect feature) and leave it till early spring and then connect up the battery tender to top up the charge, OR do I put the Genius (brand) Battery Tender on it as soon as I put it away for the winter and let it run till its ready to go back on the road?

I imagine that the amount (cost) of hydro used to keep a battery healthy via a tender is low.....but also know, that it won't take long to get it back to full charge if I just let it run a day or two before I'm ready to pull the car out of storage.

What I don't know is whether the battery prefers being trickled charged constantly over the winter.....or can simply be re-charged over a couple of days and be no worse for the wear....especially given its a new battery?

I disconnect the battery and hook up the charger with float feature. Now, I plug the charger into a timer and run it for a few hours once a week. Seemed to do the trick for me.

Good question

I just hook tender up, leave battery connected. Unplug in spring and ready to go....have permanent connection under hood, plug and play.

I do what mavrrrick does as well. Most battery tenders only trickles when the battery calls for it.

I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, disconnecting battery also resets computer and has to relearn again?

Indeed it does. In some cars with multiple computers they need to go back to the dealer to be re-programmed/rebooted.

Quote Originally Posted by mavrrrick View Post
    I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, disconnecting battery also resets computer and has to relearn again?

I pull the battery, place it in the basement. Every 2 weeks or so put it on a battery tender to top it off, then repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by mavrrrick View Post
    I just hook tender up, leave battery connected. Unplug in spring and ready to go....have permanent connection under hood, plug and play.
    Pretty much the same for me, except without the permanent connection part.

Disconnecting battery from your ride eliminates the chance of fire after a critter sets up house n chows down on a few wires. Once reconnected, most run just fine from second one while others take being fully warmed up and driven at least a short distance to settle down. Either way, not a big deal, especially since we no longer need to worry about monitors staying ready for a spring e test.