Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  30
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question re: Battery Tender Usage

There was a FB post from Ont Mustang Club where a tender caused a fire in the garage

Duplicate idfk why

I can't get comfortable with hook it on and forget about it, yes in spite of thats exactly how they say it can be used. Much prefer to put on once or twice a month when I'm in a position to monitor then disconnect till next time.
    As for one catching fire, if left in the car, possible critters chewed it's wires, just as possible battery had an issue n shorted it out causing a fire.

Safe route better imo monitored

Thanks for all the input guys. Think I'm going to see if I can contact the tender mfg. and get their perspective on the use of their product/affect on battery life. I'll drop a note back in here on what they have to say.

FWIW, here's the info. I got from the NOCO Genius website on maintaining batteries. Sounds like the preferred method (to extend overall battery life) is to maintain the battery by keeping the trickle charge happening while the car is not running/in storage. I use their G3500 model.

https://no.co/maintaining-batteries

Roushcharged
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen06GT View Post
    Pretty much the same for me, except without the permanent connection part.
    Ditto... I also take a few extra precautions to make sure no critters get in.

batteries that have been cycled from dead & back repeatedly tend to fail early, keeping it charged extends its life

I always use tenders on all my battery start units.
    I have a 12 year old battery that still works fine In my cobra. Also have a 11 year old battery in my ATV that still works fine...for now.
    Last battery I had to change was a 10 year old one in my FGT. I didn’t want to take a chance past that point as some reported gauge failures where old batteries could have caused/ be the issue.
    Just waiting for this crap to be over so we can travel again

I like idea of putting it on, monitoring it, then taking it off on a regular basis. That way I know if things are working or going wrong.

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue