Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Historic plates, fyi

Historic plates, fyi

So I heard today that historic plates are apparently hella cheap! $20 for the plates but only $18/year for the sticker!!!, vehicle needs to be 20years old to qualify, so I’ll be getting these for my 30 year old come springtime!

My understanding is for historic plates the vehicle has to be 30 years old, used for parades, shows, and other non DD purposes, and can't be modified.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

^Thx guys, I was told it was 20 years, I use mine for pleasure driving, no shows or clubs, just fun cruising, I’ll try to get some for my 88 this spring, fingers crossed.

I was gonna get them for the 35 until they said that your only allowed to drive to car shows and the mechanic, she was surprised when I said never mind and got normal ones. I'm gonna drive this bitch, if they guy ever gets the safety done, two weeks and counting

I see a lot of 60-70's muscle cars with historic plates and some are far from being original! I'm counting down the days to get these plates for my coupe.

Have a friend that has them on his beat up, yet to be restored 84 Capri.....and drives it during the nicer weather months. I'm sure there are lots that don't follow all the rules stated by MTO. Good luck to them enforcing it....

Quote Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
    I see a lot of 60-70's muscle cars with historic plates and some are far from being original! I'm counting down the days to get these plates for my coupe.
    Was just going to say that, I've seen blown and tubbed Pro-Street style cars with H plates ... ridiculous. If you can put $100K in to building your hot rod, you can afford to pay for proper plates.
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

I was going to get historical plates a year ago, but was warned about the restrictions. Just like the saying "Buyer Beware"...there is a crackdown on this type of plate. Just looked it up on Google and found this article.

https://performanceimprovements.com/...late-crackdown

Ontario Historic Licence Plate CRACKDOWN

Street Rods and Hot Rods shouldn't have Historic Plates

It appears the the police have decided to clamp down on the use of Historic Licence Plates in Ontario. I have already heard from a couple of folks who have been pulled over.

Vehicles more than 30 years old and substantially unchanged since manufacture may qualify for a "Historic" registration.

Annual fees are much lower ($18 vs $120) for a passenger car in 2017, but Historic Vehicles may not be used as conventional transportation.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act - Historic Vehicle Plates

Here is the information that I have printed from the current Ontario Highway Traffic Act. The bold print is mine:

Historic vehicle plates can be purchased for a vehicle that

(a) is at least 30 years old, ( So currently 1987 and back!)

(b) is operated on a highway in parades, for purposes of exhibition, tours or similar functions organized by a properly constituted automobile club or for purposes of repair, testing or demonstration for sale,

(c) is substantially unchanged or unmodified from the original manufacturer’s product.

(3.1) Where the number plates attached to the vehicle are year-of-manufacture plates, and only one plate was issued by the Ministry in that year for display on a motor vehicle, that plate shall be attached to and exposed in a conspicuous position at the rear of the vehicle.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/r01331

https://www.oswca.org/uploads/highwa...o-1990-reg.pdf

Ontario Street Rodders Speak Out about Historic Licence Plates

Here is an excerpt of an email I received:

"The law on Historic Plates is defined to going to a registered repair shop, sanctioned car show, sanctioned cruise night and test drive for sale. The vehicle must not be modified from the vehicle identification number as well.

We, and many of our friends, go out for drives to see the fall colours etc, this is illegal to do with these plates.

Nearly every car show and cruise night is not sanctioned and is illegal. Unless the event is a registered automotive business or has event permits for a car show with the city, which also requires the approval of zoning and appropriate insurance, it is an illegal event, private property or not.

The officer that pulled us over allowed us to have 48 hrs to get regular plates or pay the $170 fine for improper use."

I also spoke with Jason Wilson of the Vintage Auto Insurance program at Reeds in Lindsey. While he agrees that those running historic plates should be aware that if their vehicle is modified, historic plates are not correct for the car, his insurance carrier would not use that against the insured if there was a claim.

Ontario Historic Plates are NOT for Modified Vehicles

So if you are asked if you should run Ontario Historic Plates, this is the situation as I know it. The short answer would be, No. Why put your special vehicle in danger for the $102 savings? Especially if there is a $170 ticket waiting for you outside of the Cruise Night. If you want to drive your modified vehicle, get a regular plate and get out on the road and drive!

-- Bob McJannett

I considered historic plates for the 66 but I'm too old to fuss over $100 a year and be stressed out every time the Poe Poe is in my rear view mirror.

Besides I like driving faster than parades