Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  16
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: obscure mechanic question

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    How’s your luck with the lift gates? I’ve heard horror stories from other appliance guys about them. Either dumping stuff off or malfunctioning and leaving anything in the box inaccessible. So I avoaided them with this truck. But the ramp is too short for the height of the truck so in slippery weather it can be difficult to load and unload.
    Have had a couple wear through hydraulic lines, but that's a few bucks and some hand tools to swap. Also guys have smashed the remote but replacements can be found at princess auto. Biggest thing I've found is keep all the pivot points greased and make sure the guys are trained and don't just send full pressure with the latch pins locked. We use it to load heavier equipment in the trucks, it's proven to be more useful than hurtful.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Awesome. Thanks.

Have a new guy starting in a week. I think I’m gonna set up a weekly truck inspection between me and him to make sure daily checks are getting done as well as required maintenance hopefully can avoid another costly issue untill this thing is paid for then decide the best move from their.

Maintenance / run / walk around sheet filled out daily with weekly checks.

for a commercial vehicle it is required to do a daily recorded circle check (or before the truck is being used if it is not daily) a copy of the circle check should be kept in the truck with other paperwork - the fine for not having this is just under 400$'s for both the driver and the owner - I think you are required to also have a CVOR if you don't already have one - they like to hand these tickets out it is easy money - if your driver will be driving in excess of (I believe it is 100 - 150 kilometers per day he is required to have a log book) - large companies now have e-logs records hours of service which is also regulated by the MTO - I just forget how that works since e - logs have been legislated - in Ontario I believe its 15 hours a day anything after that is breaking the law and there is a required reset of 30-34 hours after a certain amount of accumulated hours ( I'm not exactly sure how the hours of service work because I don't need to use it) but I've seen fines of a 1000$'s or more because all this paperwork to start the day wasn't in order - and after that they will inspect the truck...it can stupid real fast....if your CVOR is accumulating points from fines and warnings this will affect insurance rates...its really up to the owner to maintain his vehicles but the driver will also get dinged with fines - it's just the governments way of making everyone responsible - it's very important to keep good maintenance records and all the required paperwork in light of a bad accident they will go over everything with a fine tooth comb...I'm not trying to scare but it's just crazy how commercial vehicles are governed regardless of the size. I was a mobile mechanic for many years and would refuse to a scale to repair anything!
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Who is required to obtain a CVOR?

If you operate the following motor vehicles:
    • Trucks that have a gross weight or registered gross weight over 4,500 kg (9,920 lb) and
    • Buses that have a seating capacity of ten or more passengers.
    • Commercial vehicles plated in either the United States or Mexico
    • *NEW* All tow truck operators

Exemptions

Carriers that operate certain types of vehicles do not need a CVOR certificate. These vehicles include:
    • A truck or bus that is plated in another Canadian jurisdiction
    • A truck with a registered gross weight (RGW) and a gross weight of 4,500 kg or less, whether towing a trailer or not
    • A truck or bus leased by an individual for 30 days or less to move their personal goods, or to carry passengers at no fare
    • An ambulance, fire apparatus, hearse, casket wagon, mobile crane or tow truck
    • A truck or bus operating under the authority of a dealer plate or an in-transit permit
    • A bus used for personal purposes without compensation
    • A motor home used for personal purposes
    • A pickup truck used for personal purposes

we are licensed just under the required weight for a CVOR. save on a lot of hassle.

one of my guys got wheeled a few yeas back by the mot. and they never complained about logs. but rarely do 150 km in a day. and I cant seem to ever have anyone that willing to work more than 8 hours in a day. lol

this was with a pick up and trailer at the time both commercial stickered. so not sure if that's why. he did get ticketed for no safety pin on the trailer latch. which was nothing but stupidity because I always keep a pack of spares in the glovebox

Log book is only required if you travel more than 160 km distance from your home base. You can stay within the 160 km radius and do as many km's as you like.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    we are licensed just under the required weight for a CVOR. save on a lot of hassle.

one of my guys got wheeled a few yeas back by the mot. and they never complained about logs. but rarely do 150 km in a day. and I cant seem to ever have anyone that willing to work more than 8 hours in a day. lol

this was with a pick up and trailer at the time both commercial stickered. so not sure if that's why. he did get ticketed for no safety pin on the trailer latch. which was nothing but stupidity because I always keep a pack of spares in the glovebox
    lol on the eight hours - I know appliance aren't too heavy but just be careful you don't go over the registered weight - the MTO is also very sticky now about load securement - if a disciplined circle check or pre-trip is done daily it can only benefit your maintenance upkeep - they always pull over utility trailers, opp as well, sometimes have blitz targeting any small trailers even campers, a friend of mine has a white dually 3500 pickup and always gets hassled and it is just a personal vehicle - I personally was ticketed by a peel cop for not doing a circle check and I just left the yard to get a coffee - every police force has seemed to jump on the band wagon. Good luck with your truck hope it all works out...!
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

almost need it on personal stuff seen two separate ones this week. both GIANT 30 ft plus fifthwheel campers and both hooked to pre 2015 F150's

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Who is required to obtain a CVOR?

[FONT="]If you operate the following motor vehicles:[/FONT]
    • Trucks that have a gross weight or registered gross weight over 4,500 kg (9,920 lb) and
    • Buses that have a seating capacity of ten or more passengers.
    • Commercial vehicles plated in either the United States or Mexico
    • *NEW* All tow truck operators

Exemptions

[FONT="]Carriers that operate certain types of vehicles do not need a CVOR certificate. These vehicles include:[/FONT]
    • A truck or bus that is plated in another Canadian jurisdiction
    • A truck with a registered gross weight (RGW) and a gross weight of 4,500 kg or less, whether towing a trailer or not
    • A truck or bus leased by an individual for 30 days or less to move their personal goods, or to carry passengers at no fare
    • An ambulance, fire apparatus, hearse, casket wagon, mobile crane or tow truck
    • A truck or bus operating under the authority of a dealer plate or an in-transit permit
    • A bus used for personal purposes without compensation
    • A motor home used for personal purposes
    • A pickup truck used for personal purposes
    ^^^^ I had thought Doug Ford was going to soften all this up? Including not needing a yellow sticker? I'll still get one every year, but I had heard that was going away.

In the US you only need Commercial after 24,000lbs....lol
    '21 F150 Screw 4x4 FX4 3.5 Powerboost (Iconic Silver)
    '21 Explorer ST (Atlas Blue)
    '19 Mustang Bullitt (Dark Hyland Green) Vortech Supercharged
    '11 Mustang GT 5.0L (Race Red) 8.92 @ 154 mph